which fish to cycle with??

Hoody

Have just got my new tank ready for fish (finally!) and am wondering which fish (of the one's fom my smaller tank) would be best to use, and in what order?? Tank is 80x40x60, external filter, planted and has been running for approx 4 week's. Fish are as follow's:

5x neon's

5x rummy nose

2x platty's

2x bolivian ram's

2x bristle nose

1x cory

What Caryl said...

Plan A is to run the new filter in an established tank for a couple of weeks, let it pick up some bacteria load then transfer it and a few fish to the new tank.

Plan B would be to bring the established filter and all the fish from the smaller tank and put them all in the new tank. The existing small filter would handle the job untill the new filter got established.

Either way is much better than starting from a blank page (or zero bacteria).

Cheers

Ian

Ahh.. I see the problem

You would probably have to leave the top open on your old tank and just stick the pipes from the external filter in.. a bit messy...

Plan C: Put a couple of platys in the new tank, it's big and well filtered, they will be OK in there for a couple of weeks, by then the filter will have started to cycle and you can add a few more fish.

I have a couple of little aquaone internal filters in my tanks that I can move around if I want to cycle a new tank. They aren't great filters, but they are cheap and do some good, and very handy for this situation.

Cheers

Ian

yeah that is pretty much my problem! would try run the new filter in the old tank but dont think iI could set it up tidy enough or without the risk of pipe's falling out? Will put the platty's accross and take thing's slowly. What would you recommend moving next?

Thank's for the advise too! :)

yeah was planning on doing that. While were on the topic of filter media......................

I know the bio ball's the cf1000 come's with are not the best media around, but for the immediate future is what ill be using. Problem i'm having is the ball's seem to keep rising up from the bottom?? What am i doing wrong and how can I stop this??? :oops: :-?