guppy fry

Smax

hey everyone. one of my guppies is giving birth. i got a floating breader yesterday and have placed her in it. i'm quite excited as this is my first time breeding any sort of fish. was just wondering how long it takes from the time she has the first baby till the time she has the last? and how many babies should she have on average

I believe they can drop between 10 and 100+ fry, mostly depends on the size and health of the female. They can breed at a fairly small size, but will only drop 10-20 fry. 50 would be normal for a mature female, but a nice Big Momma might do 100.

Cheers

Ian

I believe they can drop between 10 and 100+ fry, mostly depends on the size and health of the female. They can breed at a fairly small size, but will only drop 10-20 fry. 50 would be normal for a mature female, but a nice Big Momma might do 100.

Cheers

Ian

Also depends on the strain.. I have a half-black strain that has huge drops while my albinos have tiny drops.. sometimes only 2-7!

Yep... Healthy = big and well fed = 100+ fry

Albinos are often not as big and vigorous as normal, so smaller batches are probably normal.

Anyway.. there is a big range, but even if you only get 10 fry per month, they are still million fish :wink: :lol:

Cheers

Ian