Breeding Traps & livebearers

Hi guys,

I have a pregnant platy (she was pregnant when we bought her so don't know exactly HOW pregnant she is) She appears ready to drop & we can see the wee black eyes in her belly. I'v been out & bought a breeding trap today.

My question is . . . . how long can I leave her in there without stressing her? I have lost all my previous fry to the fish in my tank, & am REALLY keen to have some survive. I'm TOTALLY inexperienced & new to this breeding thing & would appreciate any input anyone has to offer. Thanks.

It varies from fish to fish. Some don't seem to mind and others go berserk as soon as you put them in.

If you can see the eyes through the belly she is about to deliver. Don't catch her in a net, move the trap under her and lift it up so she is not taken out of the water at all. Less stress. If you have some Java moss add it to the bottom of the trap as well.

I have had most success with livebearer traps that are big enough to leave the females in almost permanently and that way the female and the fry avoid stress. I used to remove the female and fry a few weeks after the event, and put the female back as soon as she is obviously gravid, but way before giving birth.

:hail: WOW, you guys are the bomb!!!! Thanks for your quick responses and great info. She seems quite calm in the breeder trap so feel confortable leaving her in there for a day or so. Hopefully she'll have her babies soon.

Thanks guys, you were a big help. My platy gave birth to 20+ babies last night in the breeder trap. She was in there for two days and wasn't stressed at all, so I now feel comfortable putting another pregnant one in there when her time is close. :D