August 19, 200719 yr comment_178685 lose your bed. :lol: just kidding. fair enough when it comes to space. it would be cheaper getting a custom set-up so you can run the overflow. or find out whether those tanks can be drilled... make sure it can be before even thinking of drilling it. Report
August 19, 200719 yr Author comment_178686 Well I was actually just coming on here to ask about drilling haha. If its a glass tank, drilling should be fine? And is it something I can do or should I really get a glass person in? Secondly, I have been considering that 5ft tank on Trademe. I reckon I can find the room BUT, finding 4 people to lift the tank itself will be a pain in the ass. Do you think it would really take 4 people to lift it? Report
August 19, 200719 yr comment_178689 I'm sure if you ask nicely, and provide brown liquid refreshments on here, you could find 4 people easily Report
August 20, 200719 yr Author comment_178878 Just noticed a couple of corner tanks appear on trademe in the CHCH reigon. Are these any good for Marine? Or are they a pain due to their shape? Anyone know anything about the models on there that they can make a suggestion about them? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=114573578 CHeers Report
August 20, 200719 yr comment_178882 i know of 1 person in akl with a corner marine tank. get the right reflector and you'll only need 1 250watt+ metal halide. it looks really good too. getting a tank drilled depends on whether its tempered glass or not. don't bother if it is. otherwise all that money you spent on it will be a waste as it will shatter... Report
August 20, 200719 yr Author comment_178893 How would I know if its tempered glass? http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/trigon.htm?cat=23 Thats the specs on it (check the PDF's at the bottom) If anyone with a bit of knowledge can have a quick squiz and give their expert opinion i'd much appreciate it. I'm going to email Redwood Aquatics and ask about the glass, hopefully they will know! Cheers for all your help people, this is making things ALOT easier for me! Report
August 20, 200719 yr comment_178897 doesn't show anything about what glass is being used. redwoods will know. Report
August 20, 200719 yr Author comment_178898 Also, how scary is it drilling this glass? (Assuming i'm gunna have to go buy a special glass drillbit) I've drilled everything but glass before, and on something so expensive it would be nerves central! Report
August 20, 200719 yr comment_178902 pros can do it, but it would cost a mint as some places take the tank to bits. easier option if you go for that tank, would be an overflow box if you really want to run a sump. Report
August 20, 200719 yr Author comment_178903 So when you say overflow (sorry still getting used to the terms) its basically an acrylic box on the inside of the tank which when fills creates a syphon which sends the water through a pipe (which goes over the side of the tank, not thru a drilled hole) and down to the sump where it does its thing and is sent back up the opposite side of the tank via the return pump and back into the aquarium? If my assumption of "overflow" is correct, that would mean I could get the tank, sort it out and organise the sump at a later date? Report
August 20, 200719 yr comment_178906 having an external overflow box makes the tank stick lots further out from the wall, imo not a good look for a corner tank. I tried to get a tank drill here in auckland 4 months ago, glass merchants wouldn't touch it as it was an existing aquarium. I had mine cut by a tank maker who was happy to do it though so I would sugest trying your local tank maker. Report
August 20, 200719 yr comment_178909 Since you are in Christchurch, a guy who will know who is best for what down there would be lduncan, a member of this forum, you could drop him a pm. Drilling is best if you can get it done. Report
August 21, 200719 yr comment_178919 Both my juwel tanks which are the rios (so slightly different) have holes drilled in the base for the sump, so i know it can be done on the rios. Redwood aquatics in chch have done marine conversions on the juwel tanks in the past (not sure if they still do). The marine tank i bought just recently is a rio 400 and the previous owners had it converted over through redwoods, hope this helps! Report
August 21, 200719 yr Author comment_178921 Hi Jolliolli Any chance you could email me some pics of where the holes are etc? [email protected]. Anyone else feel free to send their setup from the tank to the sump pics aswel I'm quite keen to see how its all been done. Cheers Report
August 21, 200719 yr comment_178922 no worries, i've just moved the tank in to the lounge and will be filling it in the day or so, so i'll take some photos tonight to show you Report
August 22, 200719 yr Author comment_179037 Not having much luck getting any info out of the person selling the Trigon 350. Is it worth me having a look at the 190 Litre option? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Fishbowls-tanks/auction-114586583.htm Or am I best to go look in the pet stores for a new unit? I'm cashed up as of tomorrow and dead keen on getting started. Jolliolli sent through some pics (thank you very much! and now i'm itching to get started! haha Report
August 22, 200719 yr comment_179044 bigger is better. but if you can, go into redwood and have a look at the sizes and see which one works best for you. Report
August 22, 200719 yr Author comment_179111 Righto, so tank is sorted (350 one yay!) Now for the next step. I've decided to have a go with this tank without a sump, as it is alot bigger than I thought it would be and all the gear is fairly unintrusive. Obviously things can change but at this stage I think its easier for me while learning to go with the easier option. So, tank is clean, what do I need now? If possible i'd like to get it setup this weekend so I can have it settle & cycle over the next 2 - 4 weeks. Do I need to go and purchase sand, live rock and salt? Cheers Report
August 22, 200719 yr comment_179118 Couple of things, what sort of tank is it? One of these ones with built in skimmer etc? 2 - 4 weeks to cycle the rocks is not going to happen, unless you get already cycled ones. I suspect you might be so keen to get this up & running you are rushing things, could regret this later. If you have not already read it there is a beginner guide as one of the threads at the top of the saltwater section on the forum, check that out to get an idea of the basics. Like you, I had fresh water aquariums before I went to salt water. However a salt water aquarium is more complex and takes longer to set up than a fresh water one, something I learned the hard way. But one thing, setting up a marine tank takes most people a few weeks or a few months. If you want to keep the tank for a long time, it's best to go slow during the set up phase and do it right, it's hard to change things later. And good idea to contact someone in your area and have a look at their tank & how it is set up, very helpful to see first hand. Report
August 22, 200719 yr Author comment_179122 Hi Wasp I had a read of the beginners guide last night after I had made that post and have a better idea of the setup now. Plan now is to pop into Redwood Aquatics and have a yarn to them about it Report
August 22, 200719 yr comment_179140 You can start cycling rock if you wish, before even setting up the tank. It can be done in a plastic tub, just need water, a pump to make circulation, and heater and skimmer are optional but help. Since this will take 6 weeks minimum before it can go in a tank with fish, doing it this way will get things rolling but still give you time to set up the tank. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.