Holes in the Fins

Janelle

I was looking at my bf's betta last night and noticed he was looking a little more raggedy than usual in the fins. When he splayed out it looked like he had two large rips into his tail and two tiny pinholes in his lower fin.

His last water change was last weekend and it was a fairly large one but he still got 2 litres of his old water back (out of about 10-14?). Temperature is around 27C, unfiltered tank, nothing sharp in there really, just a few plants and one of those pot pipe decorations you can get. One sharper edge from the decoration was sanded down before we added it last week.

Betta seems to be just as active as usual and eating fine.

What could be eating his fins? Thanks in advance.

Yes, the filter doesn't stop the algae growing if we forget to throw the towel over the tank in the morning to block sunlight though. He has not been able to build a new bubble nest since we put the filter in but it's an Elite 5 or something like that, very low current. He's a very active fighter anyway and doesn't seem to mind the little current.

I checked yesterday and the pinpricks are gone, and his tail is mostly healed. I guess it was just a passing thing.