How do you order/import fish???

David R

I've been looking at the list lately and more and more I'm noticing cool fish that you just never see here, despite being on the list. Crenicichla lacustris (Pike Cichlid) or Cichlasoma festae (now Amphilophus festae, or Red Terror) are just two of them. Both available overseas, but never here.

Short of setting myself up as an importer with my own quarantine facility (yes I'd love to, GF's not really so keen), how would one go about importing such fish? I'm guessing the average LFS would put it in the too-hard basket, and I'm not sure how interested an importer would be with a one-off small-time order.

Ideas??

The problem is getting the fish from the supplier overseas.

If they dont have the fish on shipment day then you dont get it.

Many fish on our list are hard to get and if they are on the overseas list Hobbyist dont want to pay the money for them anyway.

Heh, red devils? There are quite a few of them around.

:roll: Stupid common names, I said A. festae (red terror), not labiatus/citrinellus (red devil/midas). :lol:

Reef: That was another problem I had thought of; the importers here probably have their contacts overseas and don't like dealing with anyone else, so if their suppliers don't have the fish you're after then too bad. I doubt any of them would deal with people in the US like Jeff Rapps or any of these guys.