Why breed fish...

fievels007

and why do the shop one often die?

Cos they have been shipped 1/2 way around the world in a 747, been in 6 different tanks in as many weeks and dosed with who knows what chemicals :roll:

Your local ones are healthy and have travelled 15 mins on the back seat of your car.

Which one do you think has the best chances of surviving ;)

Dont think you will get rich breeding them, but you can usually sell them or swap them for something else ;)

Cheers

Ian

If MAF were to close the border tomorrow.

The only choice of fish would be from the local breeders.

The reason the NZKA members are such idiot, avid, fishbreders is because we know that if the species that we have in NZ were to die out, we'd have little show of replacing them.

Maybe we need more clubs oriented towards breeding THEIR specie of fish to cover for the day that the borders do get closed. If they did.

If MAF closed the borders then surely they'd go round euthenising all our fish. We'd have to breed them underground, out in the bush and sell them wrapped in tin foil! All sorts of cool phrases would come about so only people in the know would know what was going on... if if if!

Closing the border is different to banning the fish.

The recent thing with the GE fish is because they are banned, you aren't allowed to have any.

There are already other fish that are quite legal to keep, but not legal to import. You can still get them, because they are bred locally, but you cant import any more of them. I believe White Cloud Minnows are in that class.

What Alan is talking about is that if some new 'fish flu' broke out in Asia, MAF might stop all imports of live fish indefinately. (to protect NZ native species and fish farms) Then we would have to rely on the fish that are already here and the expertise of the people that are breeding them.

On another note, it's just really cool to see the little baby fry hatch out, get them eating and growing and watch them grow up.

Cheers

Ian

I guess you have to have some hobbies. Fish breeding is relativly new to me but i am very close to hatching my first killie eggs. It keeps me busy and im learning alot, and is also lots of fun

Fish seem to be a better place to spend my money than a box of beer or a new performance part for my car. And Breeding fish (in general)wont get me any fines or thrown in jail etc etc :D

Haha spending/wasting money on cars has its merits. Id hate to think how much ive wasted on my cars. A totally different type of fun than fish.

My car always used to pick up fish, i wonder how many fish can say they have been for a ride in a car hitting 13 pound of boost :D

Why breed fish...

i enjoy the challenge. once the tanks are all set up and you have your fish swimming happily, it gets a little boring. i find that by breeding my fish, it keeps me enthused and motivates me to clean my tanks :oops:

i started with guppies which soon became too easy and, yet again, boring. so now on to the slightly harder fish. my bettas have recently bred and i have a few types of tetra i'm going to try.

also the thrill of watch the eggs hatch is amazing. :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...