Indoor heated pond stocking

andyman98

hey all as i have been promised some fish space( either a room or a shed) i have decided that it would be awsome to have a pond(one of those pre made black plastic ones) as a heated pool,lets pretend that heating and filtration are not a problem here what do you think would be cool to have i just want to hear some other ideas as i currently am thinking of

A a cichlid pond(large cichlids)

B brackish water pond

C discus pond

the basic things i don't want are

1.jumpers

2.a tank full of hiders

3.climbers

if you have any ideas i would be keen to hear :D

cichlid ponds /discus ponds are bad ideas unless they have viewing ports mainly because :

you cant see them full on/profile

which means :

you cant check their health/fin status/body development etc

any other choices u have ??

This type of pond lends itself towards a cold environment.

The cost of heating it would be high with the cost of electricity going up all the time.

The goldfish have several species, that have been bred to admire while looking down on them.

You don't say if the pond will be set into the floor(what I want to do).

On the floor, or raised onto a plinth.

If it is one of the last two, then maybe a glass or acrcylic panel could be inserted with the idea of being able to view your choices.

The heater, plus filter, in a spa pool also makes it easy for the filtration and heating of it, if you are so inclined.

Isn't it fun dreaming??

Alan

i was planning on getting some big fish in it so i could have sort of wow thats a big fish instead of wow thats a colorful fish.i'm not sure if i'd have it raised or sitting.but as heating cost would be a concern raised would be considered plants would be definitely put around it.setting it in the floor would be practicle.

Giant gourami would look cool. a big shcool of silversharks maybe?? or cigar sharks...or a mix of bothI think it would need a viewing window because the surface will be distorted with the surface agitation :wink:

also, how big are you planning on??

if you are keen on cichlids, & would just like a large pair, go American.

The choice is up to you, find what you would like to look at. We all have different tastes.

eg;I have Salvinis, festaes,discus, ghostknifes(non cichlid)

yet others like red devils, Jags,firemouths,jack dempseys......

Then again it depends on what yous have on offer in NZ too.

frenchy :D