Is my Ram a Male?

Dixon1990

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Id stick them all together and watch them, then the female has 2 males to choose from (although the dominant one will most likely pair up with her) remember when your trying to breed pair forming fish it is always best to start with as many fish as practical from as many different sources to allow them to form their own compatible pairs..

• 3 weeks later...

They are generally pretty easy going...

The hardest thing ive found is getting healthy ones.. I have brought soo many that looked sweet in the stores and have just lost them unexpectedly at home for no reason, despite treating with metro, prazi you name it and others have had the same problem... lol if anyones got any descent home bred ones let me and anyone else looking for them know! I put it down to poorly bred fish from fish farms but I dont know for sure what happened to mine maybe im just unlucky.. Who knows! Good luck though..

• 1 month later...

My Female just went to the big fish tank in the sky. She was fine an hour ago, showing good colours but 5 minutes ago i found her dead with very dark colours. :evil: Im never going to buy any Blue rams again unless they are locally bred. Are Bolivians Hardier? And do they live longer?

Sorry to hear Dixon... :( I have always had the same thing with blue's as have a couple of friends with tanks...Sad because they are awesome little fish.

I now have bolivians and while they certainly aren't as colourful as the blues when young, they end up looking gorgeous as adults (especially the males, which grow beautiful long red extensions on their tails :D ). Have found them to be really hardy and easy to breed as well as excellent parents to the fry 8) So if you can get hold of a nice pair I would go for it :P