Interbreeding Killies.......

paul_r

I was just having a think about this as i was having dinner and became curious. Since killies are relativly rare here in NZ and only a few people breeding them etc, does that leave anyone with their Killies having any problems? such as deformed bodies & infertile etc

The reason i ask is i am almost geared up to start breeding (well mine are spawning already, im just not quite set up for it yet) and where possible i want to plan in advance to avoid as many problems as possible

I havnt heard anybody having troubles but then again i have never asked.

If so are there any ways around the problem - i thought of a few off the top of my head

- tradeing fish between keepers to get different bloodlines

- purchasing a new male occasionally from a LFS (if available - have never seen any females)

- getting together with other killi keepers and importing a whole bunch and divideing (no idea what is involved in doing this...)

Most killies in this country are from a few pairs found in shops and breed by members so inbreeding is the only choose.

An example is the SJO's.

An import came in through Petworld CHCH 3 or so years ago and I bought the last pair, the others despaired.

All SJO's in NZ came from 1 spawning of that pair, it was a rather large spawning of around 700 eggs but still 1 spawning.

So all and any SJO's here are closely related, until the next import.

I am breeding scheeli in good quantity's at present they can be a prolific species, they have been in NZ for decades and are still fine.

Problems with inbreeding have occurred but there is little that can be done due to the number of fish that were started with and the number of people breeding any given species at any given time.

yes every killi that i have have all came from the same person also.

My australe golds and albinos have started breeding, collecting a few eggs each day, 10 on a good day with 1 trio, still waiting on a few other species to "get busy" though.

In the future i would like to pass fish on to friends to get them into killies yet since all mine come from the same source they would all be related, as would be the fish that i pass on.

Is this just something that we have to live with or has anyone got any ideas on how to get around the inbreeding problem?

In the raceing pigeon game, some people in a Korean Uni bred mother to son then their off spring back to the son and so on for 42 generations or thats when I got out of touch. They had problems at about the 16th generation and had a lot of culling and slective breeding at that stage. After another couple of generations, the problem dissapared and up untill the 42, there were no more problems.

When you look at annuals, the gene pool is extreamly small yet few problem exist so my guess is that provided there is no breeding from the poor examples, close breeding and inter breeding will probably not be a too greater problem.

I would still jump at the chance to out cross, Hybrid vigor and all that stuff

my 10cents worth

I now duck for cover

I'm sorry wok that's not quit correct.

The correct statement would be MY ( as in me ), are the only chocolate australe in the country.

As some years ago they got down to only 1 male, I grabbed it from someone crossed it with gold australe, breed back to the male and so on.

So ALL choc-australe come from that one male.

Inbreeding is imposable to avoid :(

Im training mine as well and send them to the naughty corner if they jump..

What I need to do is train my SJO's not to come close to the tube when Im vacuming the bottom of the tank.

Lost 2 this morning, felt a bump and looked into the bucket only to find an SJO with a broken back and whail I was curseing my (and the SJO's ) luck, felt another bump :cry:

When they were smaller, they kept far away, now that theyu are 25 to 30mm long, they havnt got the sense.

Opps

sorry Paul... stolen your thread