Little Sharks

shaymis

Yes it can be done.

However I saw this when I was in Australia, it is pretty sad to see a shark which is an open water swimmer, in a tank so small it can hardly turn around. Not something I could have or would enjoy looking at.

Nearly all home aquarium sharks have a premature death.

Im in the same boat as you, i dont think its very fair to have those beautiful creatures in a tank that prohibits their movements so much. Ive done a bit of research on it today, its quite big in the USA! I wouldnt ever think about doing it, i was just curious if it had been done here, possibly by people on here.

Thats all :)

I prefer my Bala Shark anyway, hes much cuter lol

have kept spiny dogfish, 3 spine, port jackson and nurse shark all young fish, you can keep these as they dont need constant movement to keep water passing over their gills, large tanks only

other sharks cant handle square tanks as they bump glass if frightened and get stuck in corners, need constant forward motion to keep water passing through mouth

small sharks don't have a problem with 6 foot plus tanks but it is cruel to keep the larger species in anything but 3,000 litre plus

kept a young thresher for 6 weeks once then released,

sorry no shark pics, was about 15 years ago and more, too busy with the passion and excitement of it all

used to go out on fishing trips and bring back any oddities we came across. :o

used to have a syringe and needle for emptying swim bladders that blew up from rapid trip to the surface on some types of fish.

first shark (thresher) came off a commercial fishing boat brought to me out of a netted catch, went to the local wharves and asked boat captains if they could keep any good stuff they brought in, cost me a few beers or bottle of bourbon :D

set up plastic drum on its side with 12 volt bilge pump for flow and crew would pump new water in for me every 30 mins or so

caught dog fish in the harbour at certain times of the year, i think they come in to spawn

helped Harold at early wonderworld shop in rotorua with set up for local freshwater, they had a large concrete trough with a window in it and kept some large fish in there, big Kingies even :o

set up a large local tank in restaurant down at the fishing club, which got it known to local fishers what i was doing

also kept

splendid and allports perch,

red banded grouper

banded perch

pig fish

soldier wrasse

sanddaggers wrasse

john dory

lizard fish

goat fish

red moki

a painted moki

demoiselles

local angel fish

always wanted a boar fish :( never got one

most were released back to the sea, lost some too to inexperience

but did a better job the next time round (learning curve)

found at mayor island

can catch adults on very small barbless hooks with pipi on hook,

young ones are pretty, nice yellow with almost neon blue dots and dashes

all over the bodt, caught them with a suck gun, oversized clear perspex bicycle pump with a diaphragm valve on end made at work

they hide in crevices in the rocks, used to catch two spot demoiselle, big eye and the odd yellow tail blue damsel that way as well

some of the triple fins and clingfish were amazing too

i used to spend every weekend in the water or fishing for about 3 years so a lot of time was spent searching

the rockpool life is amazing with weedfish and triplefins and crustaceans

just as good as tropical marine but different, you got it yourself and maybe spent time with family doing it :D:D

http://www.fishbase.gr/Summary/SpeciesS ... p?id=12465

similar to one of the aussie angels, used to catch them on great barrier reef and sell to wholesalers

look better when they're young

the adults change the spot depending on their mood

the two spot demoiselle is nice too, some of them having a lot of blue or yellow on them