Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Skunk Loach / Hora's Loach

Featured Replies

Does anyone here have any experience with these fellas? I have purchased some and they are dynamite at fin nipping. i am wonder which tank to put them in. What are suitable tank mates for them?

Cheers

I know of people keeping them in with semi aggressive cichlids... convicts etc... Skunks can be really awful with fin nipping and often do most of their attacking of fins at night too :-?

I have got 2 of the little brats. Never had a problem with them yet. *crosses fingers and hopes she hasn't jinxed it*

I got really peeved with the snails in the puffer tank cause the puffs weren't eatting them so threw a skunk in there. i have seen the puffs and plenty of snails but no skunk for ages now. I don;t know if the puffs ate him or not..........suppose i should have a look one day...... :roll:

The other loach is in my community tank with allsorts of fish and no problems there either.

Once they get to a good size 10cm fatties they can really do damage... so might pay to keep a close eye.. Some keepers end up putting them in with large cichlids, ie Oscars etc when they reach maturity. Blue botias etc are to be kept in your larger fish when mature and they are nowhere near as destructive as the good ol' Skunks :lol:

  • Author

Thanks guys n gals. At present they are only 1.5cm...but killed a few guppies - stupid me for leaving the guppies in there. I have a tank with large cichlids which I can put them in once they are now longer bite sized, only thing is I have some lovely clown loaches in that tank. I would hate to add the Hora's in there and my clowns suffer. Does anyone have experience with clowns n horas?

I wouldn't put them with Clowns... with Red Tailed Botia (Blue Botia) that is fine as they are both a more boisterous Botia, but clowns would be far too laid back.

  • Author

THanks African, that is what I thought, my clowns are really cruisy I don't want to stress them out. Might starting thinking bout moving on the hora's....

Hmmm.....yup I just noticed the same behaviour too! One of the two I have seems to like nipping at the tigerbarbs tails, the other just seems to be happy chasing the other Skunk around......Seriously concidering finding new owners for them though after reading that things might only get worse....

Chrismack

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.