How tolerant are killies?

paul_r

I have a question, would anyone be able to tell me whether any species of Killie are more prone to stress or dying than any other specie.

For example has anyone experienced more losses than another specie after purchasing a large quantity of fish of different species. Or has the power gone off for a while and tank got too cold for a while and a few have died etc.

Am just curious. Also has anyone experienced more trouble with one breed of killie than any other etc

Paul

I have choc australe and N. korthausae yellow. I got a trio of each when they were still very young. They are now pretty much full grown and ive had them for probably 4 months or so? I havent had any trouble with them. only lost one fish and that was my male australe, dunno why he died, but it was well after i got them. When i first got them they didnt get my full attention so would have missed a few water changes, feeding etc, but now they are lovely fish that get a water change every day, and i have just started the nothos spawning even..... They seem to be pretty hardy fish but i cant realy comment on different kinds etc as im still pretty new to it all aswell

Just curious as i got 5 Species of Killi in the weekend, Striatum, Australe Gold, P82's Albinos and Dageti, For all species except the Striatum they are in tanks approx 450*250*250 split in half.

The first 2 days were fine, everyone eating, behaving normally etc. Evening of day 2 and all 4 Dageti having trouble swimming and all ending up dead. However the 3 Albinos in the exact same tank, same water, temperature etc are all doing fine.

The tanks were cleaned with salt before use, the filters had been in an established tank for about 2 weeks now, in an attempt for them to build up some of the nessecary bacteria.

Im new to keeping killis, and dont know all that much about fish keeping (yet), it just seems strange to me that only one species is having trouble (all dead now), while the rest are doing fine

Ok ill start with Getting home with polystyrene box full of bags with fish in them. Take bags out, place bags in their respective tanks, which has water aerated and at correct temperature. Play xbox 360 for half an hour or so, stopping occasionally to see if i can notice any abnormalities. Add about a cup of tank water into bag with fish, leave for another 15 mins or so, check temperatures are consistant in tank & bag(s). Let fish go into tank.... Drop top of bag into water, place on an angle so fish can swim out on their own, slowly tip water & fish out of bag.

Oh no you didn't Paul.

You open the bag, clip it to the side of the tank, play xbox, then start the regime of adding the water.

THEN NET THE FISH FROM THE BAG TO THE TANK.

Throw away water in bag, DON'T add it to the aquarium.

Thanks for that alan, i will keep that in mind for next time i get/move fish. Makes sense as i guess would stop the spread of any diseases in water etc. (not hinting that there was anything with where they came from)

Unless the albinos have mean looks they cant have killed the dageti as they were split with the tank lid acting as a divider. There was no redness of the gills etc, they looked the same as the other killis in other tanks, just relaxing in the water, swimming occasionally.

Another thing to help cut down the stress factor Paul is to keep the fish in the dark, and stop peeking at them every two minutes.

Normally when fish are obtained from a breeder, they do not have the human contact that some other souces have.

Don't feed for at least 24 hours unless you have live food like R/R mozzie larvae.

Not available this far up tho.

haha its very hard to not check on them evry now any then, too excited with the new fish :D . But i will keep that in mind and in the future will not keep checking up on them. Just put them in the tank, put the cover on and leave them till the morning.

And ive been feeding them a little bit of flake, they seem to like the micro worms alot better though :)

Must be you Alan.. My killies love human interaction.

Mine don't frighten easily and they DON"T JUMP!!! :lol:

Even some P82 I picked up a few weeks ago won't jump :lol:

My acclimatisation is.... pick out fish from bag and chuck into new tank.... yeah yeah yeah.. bad thing to do... but... NO problems so far (touching wood) :D

They used to use a penny or copper wool shavings at the turn of the century to treat velvet and white spot and leave it in there until the snails tried to climb out of the water. The problem is that it will disolve in direct proportion to the acidity and you have no idea what conentration of copper ions you have in solution. When I treated killies with 1/6 concentration of chelated copper sulphate I thought I was starting at a safe dose---not so. The question was " How sensitive are killies?" and the answer is "Very sensitive to copper." I would use quinine or mepacrine to treat velvet now.