Problems with my Fluval FX5

shelzie

i have had my FX5 running on my 640L tank for approx 2-3months now and i have been having nothing but problems.

when its worining it slowly loses it power and ends up just not pumping water through.

each time this happens i pull it apart to see if its blocked up anywhere but it never is and the media is always clean.

its done this about 5 time now and is now becoming more often.

it happened again yesterday so i stripped it right down again and took the motor off but to me everything looked fine as it was not dirty.

the media was still clean from it happening a few days prior so i just cheeekd them to make sure they wernt cloged up anywhere and put it all back together.

i swiched it on and everything was fine. i was working but the flow wasnt as fast as the first time i ever used it.

woke up this morning and there is hardly any water going through it again!

What can i do and what could be wrong with it?

thanks

It is not doing the job it was sold to do.

Failure to do so results in replacement with new pump or full money refund.

From the shop where it was bought.

NOT, shop credit.

They have to fight it out with the producers, not you.

thanks so does that mean the filter is stuffed??

when i rung them after the first few times it happened they told me to do everything i had already done, and went on to saying they have been using one on their tanks for a while and never had one problem.

There is always a chance that you have a faulty one :/

If you like the filter, try taking just the filter back, and getting them to swap the filters around, (leaving the piping etc in place to save you time), and then just plug in the new one.

If you want a refund, please don't yell at the guy behind the couter about how crap its been, as it ain't his fault.

And yes, what Alan says is correct. HOWEVER

You can ask the trader to fix the goods. The trader must choose between repairing the goods, replacing the goods or giving you a refund.

So, if you want a refund, ask nicely :)

i liked the filter until it started playing up so i will just get another one.

and i wont be happy with them sending it away and in the mean time i wait as i need the filter and i got it in auckland and we are in hamilton so i dont really want to have to take an extra trip to pick it it

its now been running with no media and there is no improvement!

the water flow is that bad that when you put your hand on the output you cant actually feel the water coming out, i have to lift it just above the water line to see the water slowley come through.

I'm probably stating some obvious things but have you tried

-seeing if there is anything blocking the pipes or intake basket? (take them outside and try running the water from a garden hose through them)

-cleaning around the impellor?

-check the valves are opening fully while they're off the filter.

already done all that and none of the pipes are blocked and no stones in there. when i run water through them it comes out and when we hold them straight you can see right through them and there is nothing in them.

the impellor was clean when i took the motor off again last night. not even the slights bit dirty.

When it's not pumping well, try turning it off and then pulling off the outlet hose on the tank end and letting it siphon into a bucket.

This should help tell you if something's restricting the flow or if it's simply not pumping well.

I spoke with the distributors who sent a sales rep to my house to give it a play. When they realized it was non-repairable they sent a replacement and I shipped the old one back to them - all on their dime. I found the service to be excellent and would love to give you more info but you'll have to speak with the shop you purchased it from. Ask them to talk with the distributors about your issue and arrange for you to have it sorted. You shouldn't need to drive all the way back to Aucks for service!