DIY breeding tank storage device - comments please

paul_r

sorry i have no idea what to call this :D

I have been thinking for days now on a way that i could store and breed killis without taking up too much room, be reasonably energy efficient and cheap to build. I am renting so cannot build a fish room, even if my funds would allow it, and cannot use a wardrobe. So i came up with an idea to modify a book shelf. Pic was done in Word using draw and clipart and is definatly not to scale, just a general picture of what i have in mind. Not accurate at all but you will get the jist of how it works (also sorry for poor quality, the forum doesnt seem to like my picture i created in word, seems hard to read the words):

killistorage1.jpg

Im looking at useing a bookshelf, not too tall or wide, but approx 300-400mm deep, and useing polystyrene (cant spell) to insulate top, bottom, sides and back, which i will paint/spraypaint black, from what i have learnt killis like dark environments. Wil use x ammount of light bulbs hooked up to a thermostat to maintain correct breeding temperatures not sure on how many would be required. I have got a number or air pumps which will provide air (hopefully enough)for a sponge filter in each tank, am unsure how many tanks i will be able to fit until i find a suitable bookshelf.

For the front will have 2 cabinet doors on hinges to open horizontally... like bathroom cupboards etc, mainly glass (basically like windows) to allow ease of viewing, if windows loose too much heat may make up some curtains hahahahahaha :D

Any suggestions/comments/ideas much appreciated as i am still in early drafting stages. And i do have basic tools - jigsaw, drill etc and know how to use them so i am looking at doing all the work myself, except maybe building tanks, but i will give it a go.

Cheers,

Paul

Definite on the fans. A couple of larger sized computer fans wired to a 12v plug pack will do the job. Try and arrange them so they suck warm air from the top and return it to the bottom of the cabinet, you might want some ducts down the back to return the air that rises up your front cut outs.

You will get a BIG heat gradient between the top and bottom otherwise.

Also you can get small heater bars (designed for cupboards or wardrobes)

They are a couple of hundred watts and you wont have the bright light and burn-out problems that lamps will give.

My friends and I have built similar cabinets for brewing homebrew beer in, the idea is the same. Large containers of water you want to keep at ~25deg ;) So yes, your idea should work OK.

Cheers

Ian

Nah, don't put any fans in. Just put the lights at the bottom and run a couple big dryer hose air pipes from the top of the cupboard down back down to the bottom. Then convection will move the air around.:P

Hehe, Ok, fans would probably be more tidy. Don't use computer fans. Just get a small desk fan from the warehouse. More power, probably quieter, a lot cheaper and doesn't need a 12V transformer.

Ill have a play round with some hoses and see if i can get it to keep the warm air circulating, want to be useing as little power as possible and im not too worried on what it looks like, so long as it does its job im happy

Hi Paul..

If you don't shroud the lights as suggested... you will be driving the fish potty with the lights going on and off at every temp variation.

There's a few specials going around on these Oil Filled Heaters.. (about seventy odd bucks if I remember correctly)... so one of those plus a ten buck desk fan from the Warehouse would be all you would need.. as the Oil Filled heaters have a biult in thermostat.. so you would save on that.

They are pretty narrow as well... so won't take up a lot of room.. plus they are water proof and safe.

You would still need some form of lighting.. but the power saver flouro's or bulbs would not set you back much.

If you already have a cupboard.. then you would do the lot for around a hundred bucks.. with a bit spare for fish food :)

Bill.

For the time being i am planning on useing several small air pumps ive got lying around at home plus a sponge filter in each tank. If i placed the pumps on top shelf it would suck in the warmest air and circulate it to all the tanks, so would have some effect on keeping the heat constant throughout the cabinet, however i am not sure how effective it would be. Anyone done this before that could confirm its effectiveness?

I am planning to use some MDF to make the cupboard, all bookshelves ive seen are the wrong dimensions so this is going to be totally custom. May be a bit expensive but would definatly be worth it.

I think only Alan W. has done this before.

I'm planing on building a second smaller room then the one I have 2msq.

I will be made up of 3 wooden framed stands lined with 50mm thick poly.

I've worked out that the construction will cost around $500.00 with most of that in $50.00 sheets of poly and around $165.00 for the frames.

If this is going to be in your garage you may be able to do something similar, that is build a framed cabinet with door and just line it in thin MDF and thick poly.