Discus Plague

herefishiefishie

I have been hit by this. Not pretty at all.

Hit quick & hard. Lost 2 discus, one at day1, one at day3. Both were ones that were smaller, thinner ones I was feeding up.

All came down when I introduced a new discus. First came down about 3 days later. Funny, the new discus is fine still & looks great. :roll: {lesson there, quarantine all new fish} Most others looking pretty bad, gone dark, hiding, excess mucus, breathing heavy, fins clamped etc.

Treating with bacterial medicine of choice & prazi as flukes have hit, secondary infection. Added salt, temp at 30, slowly dropping ph with naturally, using indian almond leaves. Lights off.

Will let people know how I go. Hard disease to deal with as fish look so bad. Information in Books & net so conflicting too.

Bizarre disease, all other tropicals look fine.

All I can say is, glad I don't have a discus room. Sounds like all would of got it.

Frenchy :D

I have seen furan mentioned, same for a lot of bacterial meds, metro, parasite remedies etc. I haven't seen furan around. I don't think we have it here.

I treated with an oxy drug, pretty good anti bacterial, 4th day of treatment, with a few water changes. I stopped using prazi. Just treated for first 3 days. treat for 3 more days next week. One discus broke out with whitespot oon day 2. :-?

May switch tomorrow to metro, recommended by discus guys here. The only reason I will switch to that is guys have sworn by it & had no deaths. Some of mine are already looking better & started eating. If story still the same will stick with oxy.

No more deaths today.

• 2 weeks later...

I did stick to oxy in the end. It was just what I read on a discus froum in Aussie.

The best drug I used was Chlor-B. It is deadly to humans but.

When fish first broke out I split the tank into really sick into separate tank. Used oxy.

The others in main tank got Chlor-B. Those that got Chlor-B cleared up quickly. Then again, they weren't as advanced I guess. But I only had a limited amount, therefore hit the better ones with the better drug, just in case others were to far gone.

I used a little metro in the food, just incase. Just the disease seems to break the fish, therefore they got hit by a couple of other diseases.

I lost 3 all up. The others now are more active, colour coming back.

I will post active ingredients in Chlor-B, but will also post up safer alternative. Meds are at home, I am out tonight.

sorry to hear you lost three but glad the others are coming around.

Would like to know the active ingredients in Chlor B. Is it a prescribtion med?

I had that happen to me once and I treated them with Furan2 and acriflavin together with a 100% WC daily to get rid of all the slime and stuff. The fish were all dark with a lot of slime almost like skin peeling off and all in a corner lying flat. I thought I would loose them but fortunately for me all survive after the treatment that lasted 2 weeks.

There are 35 tanks in the fishroom and none of the others were affected.

I must be lucky,

ron

Cheers. I still have the bottle at home. The active ingredient was used in hosing down holding tanks in Asia. But they linked all the cancer break outs to the drug. :oops: I use it in a pill form, has a protective coating.Therefore I don't touch the drug itself.

I can only buy the pills through a vet. Not easy to get at all.