Beginner to Africans!!

evilknieval69

Hiya

Yeah there are a few Daf keepers around... they are brilliant. I have some fry growing on at the moment that are a bit older but they are spoken for, but have some real youngsters spawned recently growing on also. You can't mix them with Brichardi as they will crossbreed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 3 breeding pairs. Fish we got from Ryan Dury, all grown up now, paired off and spawning.

No big broods yet, just 4 to 10 fry at a time, but it should get better as the breed more.

Will sell some through the forum whe they get bigger.

Callum

wow mine are spitting out 50+ babies im guessing each time ... whats the main disadvantage of them cross breeding? would it just weeken the strains? and not be as good looking?

but if my brichardi are already paired off, wouldnt that stop them from cross breeding???

They are two different species, so has nothing to do with strain, the fact is they will be cross breeds, a big no no. I think most would agree that we need to keep the Daffodils going here in NZ... and if mixed with Brichardi that would be a huge disaster. I also keep Brichardi, they do seem to produce more babies in one spawning compared to the Dafs, yet my Dafs still seem to produce alot more than 20 per spawning...

And because you have a pair of Brichardi that have paired off to breed doesn't mean that they won't breed with anything else later on, in the past I have had Brichardi pair off and breed, but that same male out of the pair, bred later on down the track with another Brichardi female.

Tank is lookin good Evil heaps of places for the fry to hang out in their own nookie.

I would also like to add that when I had my "Daffs" they spawned way more fry each time probably atleast 50 as well and at one stage there was 3 different spawnings all at different sizes in a 4.5ft tank everybody looking after the next brood of fry that came along. Brichardi and Pulchers have different gill plate markings if they were to cross breed in the same tank it would be very hard I would say to tell what you had and both sp. would suffer. If you looked carefully at the different sp. Brichardi gill plate markings look like this -) and Pulchers like this ))

I just got six Brichardi babies which were in a tank with larger fish so most were eaten, or squished under the rocks. They were 4 for $12 but I caught them myself and he said to take six.

I'm going to be setting up a species only tank too, I think they're really pretty.

No time wasting! they were out and about having a munch before! Tryed to get a couple pics but their tank is very dimly lit ATM so they didnt turn out great

Brichardi2Small.jpg

BrichardiSmall.jpg

Oh and BTW, these were bred by no other than billaney himself :lol:

P.S. I think im starting to get hooked. Contemplating scrapping my ideas for another planted tank and getting some demasoni instead.... WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ROGAN?!?!?!?! :lol:

Nice, can't wait till my Brichardis are of a decent size. They look so pretty already even at their small size. I really like what I read about how everyone looks after the young in a Brichardi community too. I find them really pretty.

People recommend keeping lots of demasoni because they wipe each other out, Id say a pair would be a bad idea as the male may just kill the female..

However im sure there are exceptions the only thing you can do is give it a go I guess.. I keep 12 demasoni and they are nasty buggers to each other always chasing each other and thats in a 540litre tank.. There are people in Auckland selling them cheap as I think janine on here has a heap so getting 10 shouldn't be an expensive undertaking..