Help!! I'm a fish freak!!

Doc Holiday

Do you have the fish keeping bug?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have the fish keeping bug?

• Yes
    • No

Fish keeping has consumed me!! Is anyone immune to this fishkeeping bug! do we all have it? Does it ever go away? or am I doomed to spend money on fish for the rest of my life? How bad can this fish keeping bug get? (I already have thoughts in my head of breeding, opening my own pet store, importing fish, building many aquariums, going to the aquarama in china, the list is endless) is this normal? Two months ago there wasn't a single thought of a fish in my head, untill we decided to get our boy a fish for christmas. We got a little 20L tank and some bits and pieces off a friend, Then we wen't looking for a fish for him. Thats when it all started. We ended up coming home with a nice little aquaone 100L aquarium. We set it up on christmas morning and after the new year we took the boy to buy some fish. We went back a week later and fell in love with a little red Oscar and some clown loaches. Two weeks later we went back again and came home with another red Oscar and a texas cichlid. We now have two tanks set up one with a beautiful little male betta and some guppies and the other with fish quickly out growing it. So now we are getting a 6 foot aquarium built for around $3 000. With plans too also build a 4 foot Marine tank.

I definately have it bad, I would love to hear story's of others in the same vote. Tell us how you got started and any other storys of your journey through fish keeping, I'm sure we all would love to hear them. :P

Is the only cure to build a 200 square foot aquarium and live in it? 8)

...i want to be a fish when i grow up...

after looking through the saltwater forums for a while, surfing some links, reading another forum site, looking at more pics and surfing those links, i have concluded that i need a larger house, bigger salary, and a personal stand-by team of fish consultants - wait... i have you guys!!

After having goldfish in a 25 litre tank for almost 10 years, I progressed to a few tropicals and heater a year ago. Got a 3' tank at new year and then it hit me BIG time!

Actually I blame you guys - I was fine until I found this site! Madness loves company :P

A friend bought a tank for her husband for his birthday and as they are due to move two days after his birthday, I am cycling and hiding the tank in my lounge for her. Three weeks ago I was looking for the space to put it, but now it's about time to surrender the tank to its rightful owner I'm wondering what to do with the space in my lounge...hey I know - I can get another tank...more fish...more water changes...less TV...more fun...oh no - here it comes again :-? :lol: :x:o :oops: :P:wink: :roll:

Once upon a time .................... as a young child I saw an aquarium.....actually I had to tip toe to look into it I was that tiny. No fish in our house until six years ago and my husband bought a 2.5 rectangular tank at an auction for me. I met an infected person on the internet and the bug struck.................Now I have two 3.5 foot tanks and a 80 litre hexagon tank. At the moment the disease is regressing and I am happy with what I have....................hubby has the straight jacket ready for when the next fever hits LOL.

No you never get over it once infected and if you get so sick that the multiple tank syndrome hits then just know you are a goner ROFL.

wELCOME Doc.

Caryl keeps reinfecting me and now so does Tee Cee lol. Not to mention all the local fish nuts :)

The trouble is that the disease seems to spread by conversation. If you stick two people in a room , one infected and one not, but the infected one is gagged, the disease won't spread. With the internet, communication has become so much easier that we can expect a boom in the rate of infections until the fish-keeping bug ('FKB') causing MTS is as much of a global epidemic as HIV causing AIDS. The trouble is that if you publish statistics on it in a newspaper you only spread it more! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was first bitten when I was about 8 I think. My mum took me to Fins, Fangs & Feathers in Greerton, Tauranga. And I saw some little tropical salt water sharks(someone tell me if this would be what I saw I was only little but am quite sure but have never seen anymore so it could have been a bala shark or something else), I absolutely loved them and wanted one. So for my next birthday my dad got me one of those little bowls with the coloured top and bottom pieces and two little fat goldfish (one black moor and one comet) I named them Bully and Bulgy. After a while Bully (the black moor) got swim bladder disease and had to live in a salad bowl for the rest of his life. So my dad got me two horrible bronze comets (probably cause they were cheap knowing my dad). One of those and Bulgy eventually passed away and our nice neighbours gave us a little ten litre tank. So i got more friends for the bronze comet left (named Bully #2). We went away one day and left a neighbour looking after our five goldfish, came home and the smallest one was dead so we got another, sure enough it was dead the next morning too. So we put it down to too many fish. Another one eventually died but horrible bronze comet Bully #2 lived on. Then we went away and my sister who was at home looking after the fish broke her ankle and went to stay with my dad. We came home from holiday cleaned the tank and there was now only 2 fish (Bully #2 still there). So that was fine for a few months, then my step father went away and left our fish without being fed, came home to only horrible bronze comet (Bully #2) left. She stayed with my dad for a while with no weed, snails or tank mates because she would eat everything.

Then I went down to visit, saw she was way tooo big for her tiny tank and bought my fish two foot tank. Took it home set it up and got her 7 seven friends. Then we were given another 2 foot tank and got more goldfish. Then we decided to get some axolotls which we put in our little tank but eventually got them a 2 foot tank and another friend. I eventually lost all those goldfish through not realising that our water from a plastic water tank had no oxygen in it. Which was sad for me especially since by then I had my bronze comet (Bully #2) for about 8 years.

Then my mother in law brought a 4 foot tank for the axolotls we had given her so I swapped her two 2 fts for the 4 ft for my goldfish. Then I got a 100cm tank for my partner for his birthday cause he wanted to try saltwater.

Eventually the axolotls ended up in the 100cm with all our goldfish in the 4 ft and some spare tanks. Then my partner decided he wanted his 100cm back to try saltwater and so I bought a 3ft tank for the axolotls. They kept cutting their lips on the glass supports in the bottom so they were moved back to the 100cm, the saltwater dream didnt last long. So I used the 3ft for goldfish with a light we had acquired buying all these tanks. Had a bad algae problem so I took them out into another tank with no light. Then we started tropicals in that 3 ft tank (Nov 2002). Since we have started tropicals we have nearly turned all our tanks into tropicals plus bought a new tank and the poor old goldfish have been thrown outside in the pond. About a year and a hlf ago I had 11 axolotls living in tanks and troughs outside, have just recently sold my last four becasue I have lost interest in them with all the tropicals and breeding them. We also bought 2 more tanks through trade me. Every week I do to town I look at the LFS which doesn't help the bug at all!

Now after a year and 3 months with tropicals we have a 3ft, 4ft, 1ft, 100cm, a display tank and a tiny tank all with tropicals. I'm also just looking for a filter and heater and going to make another 3ft tropical. Then I have 3 2ft tanks spare. So more room for more fish!!!!

But my partner gets grumpy because he works catching fish and then I spend all the money on fish!

I have definately been bitten by the fish bug. I have also got at least 3 other people keeping fish as well and have hooked the fourth person.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I want an oscar to live with my 2 Bala sharks and 3 silver dollars in the 100cmx50cmx50cm tank filtered by a fluval 403. My partner is not too keen on that idea though. I would also like 1-2 discus for my 3ft tetra tank. I just want more and more!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone else have any ideas on what I could keep with the bala sharks and silver dollars? Maybe some other kinds of sharks?

• 3 months later...

i have had fish since i was a nipper 5 or 6 i think but then i somehow managed to ween myself of them and after 6 yrs i was cured

then the step son moved back home with his tank and it stayed when he moved back out

and it was decided that a nice tank and stand for them was a better option than a tank taking up the dinning room table .And well we got an offer on a couple of 75 gal tall tank and stand setups that we would have been mad to refuse

and 2 yrs of visiting every lfs in auckland every weekend that was spare has left me with not onle mts but a desire for 1 or 2 more tanks

I have the room for them honest i do :D