blue stone kept water clear

soky5

Copper sulphate (bluestone) can be used VERY dilute to kill algae, but it's also toxic to fish in slightly higher concentrations.

Also it will only clear the algae out temporarily, once the copper is removed from the water it will just grow back.

If it's a cold water tank, get a magnetic glass cleaner. If it's tropical, get a little bristlenose pleco :) Mechanical or biological control is much safer :)

Cheers

Ian

Oh Copper Sulphate, yeah do not use that. If you do use it very diluted with citric acid. I would definately not go to this extreme for algae in an aquarium. Will kill fish sensitive to copper and snails (duh), and if dosed too high will kill everything.

I had a very diluted mix I used to use to fight fungus, worked well, but I wouldn't use it in a community tank.

Chelated copper sulphate has 4 to 1 citric acid added to it and it slows the absorbing of copper through the gills and therefore makes it less toxic for fish. Used to treat velvet and a number of other problems but can cause temporary sterility. I killed over 300 Nothobranchius guentheri (killies) almost instantly treating for velvet and I used 1/6 of the normal dose. It is the main ingredient in meds to control snails but is not used in aquariums for algae control that I am aware of. I would leave it in the jar.