Energy saver bulbs

fishandchips

Make sure they're 6500K (Cool Daylight), and they'll be good little tank lights. If you want to get silly you can also buy 110W energy savers from sog.co.nz :hail::hail: lol

Rule doesn't really work because a lot of the light in an energy saver just hits the bulb itself, they're not as efficent like that but they still work well. For a small tank I'd recommend getting something low wattage, the 23W bulbs can get a bit hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Miter10 have 105 watt ones, really big tho, and the screw cap will come off it if horizontally mounted tho. I have some in my home office and workspace to make it nice and bright since my metal halide stopped working properly.

I ended up getting two 20watt straight energy saver bulbs. I have them mounted and ready to go. I am going to install a small computer fan if the heat gets to be to much. It will plug straight into my computer as the tank is besides it at work. It will run as long as my computer is running and that has not been turned off for 43 days and counting. Not that it is going to cause any harm anyway.

So the little tank is only 24l and it is losing about half a litre a day from evaporation. this will increase when the lights are on so more top ups with the water bottle (I do get some strange looks walking down the hall with four water bottles under my wings).

Next comes some wood filler after the final fitting then it will be a lick of paint then some plants.

Should be good

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's related to the type of bulb's you guy's are talking about but i saw breifly on target last night that "energy saver" bulb's CAN be quiet nasty if they break and something get's out???

Anybody else see that and can clarify??

"energy saver" bulb's CAN be quiet nasty if they break and something get's out???

"Something" is called mercury.

These environmentally "friendly" lightbulbs will be a HUGE disaster in years to come when people will simply throw them into the household rubbish once dead where they will break.

It's called mercury. And it's not the end of the world if one gets broken.

If you breathe in the fumes you will get poisoned. The soils will get contaminated, houses will get contaminated....

In years gone by hospital rooms have been sealed because of a dropped thermometer, cause the mercury rolled around the floor in little silver droplets and one was never sure if one got all of it. The rest would evaporate slowly and poison the patients.

Although there is less mercury in one of these lightbulbs than in a thermometer, the sheer volume of these bulbs will make for a major disaster.

Which is why you make sure there are methods to recover it, unlike at present where the only option is the once a year hazmobile who initially were not sure if they should take them since they didnt know if they were hazordous enough.

Now, since this is NZ, the environmentally irresponcible country, the chances of someone stepping up to offer a residential collection and recycling service are virtually nil, so yeah, it can be a problem, I have about 20 that have died around the house this year sitting waiting for the next hazmobile, and who knows what they really do with them once returned really...

And remember that most fish tank lights are flourescents - so they all contain mercury :roll:

The compact flouros are no worse than normal flouro lights, and possible better as the newer lamps contain less mercury.

As a side note... a compact flouro saves enough power over it's life that if it's powered by a coal power station the mercury waste thing is actually better. Burning coal releases mercury too. And thats not even looking at the uranium that coal releases. :roll:

OK I know we dont burn coal for power in NZ, but it just demonstrates how complicated it becomes.

Confusedly..

Ian

Well if you produce these eco-bulbs and want to sell them then you better make sure that you tell the public about how good they are for the environment!

For example: "... Ecobulbs actually have a net effect of reducing mercury in the environment...." This came from here.

Then this article here states that: "Other much larger household sources of mercury include thermometers and barometers, which should be treated with even more caution if they break. Coal fired power stations also emit mercury into the environment. Energy efficient lights reduce the burning of coal for electricity generation thereby reducing mercury pollution from this source"

So whichever way you look at it we MUST pollute our environment one way or another to have the standard of living we all seem to need.

• 4 weeks later...