3yr old+200 grit sandpaper versus fish tank= HELP

gills

we had a product at work was called a micromesh kit came with everything to get scratches out of glass or plastic.. Or else failing that you can attempt to polish it out using braso, or contact a glass company see what they recommend good luck!

we use Jewlers Rouge mixed as a thick paste with water

There are scratch removal kits availabe in the trade but they cost around the $1000 mark.

What they do is grind the glass out makeing a small dish in the glass (in other words, makeing the glass thinner).

This can cause the glass to give an altered view of the inside of the tank, Just as glasses do or when you look at the corner of a curved corner tank.

As a general guide, if you can feel the scratch with your finger nails, it may be too deep to remove the scratch without damaging the surface.

The important thing is to use a pure wool buff on a slow speed (and I mean really slow speed 150 t0 300 RPM) drill. The use of a higher speed drill can cause the glass to burn and therefore you can get a rainbow effect in the glass.

You may well lighten the scratches without removeing the water from the tank but if you are going to have a serious attempt, remove all the water to avoid termal breakage

Thanks guys for your advice. :D I asked a guy from Novus who was buffing a tag on a shop window, he recommended taking the tank into the work shop, easier said...(325L tank)!

I must say though, at the time Ira's three step solution would've been quite appealing, lucky she's so cute and i love her so much.

I'll check some other glass companies and then the Brasso.

What about baking soda or Ajax "Tough on grim no harsh scratching" :)

Barrie, you sound like you do this quite often, are you in the trade or just lots of kids? lol :P

Thanks again :hail::hail:

I have a glass company

been in the trade for 39 years

1st started makeing tanks when the first silicone was imported for the glass trade (dont make them nowdays)

scratches, yes we get asked at least once a day but a scratch can take up to 2 or sometimes 3 hours to remove and therefore very expensive.

Megs

any really fine grinding paste will work and brasso is one of the better ones. Almost all will replace the large scratch with finer less noticable scratches, The system used will start off with a course paste like brasso then move through progressively to even cork/canvas grit if the job warrents it.

Acrylic is very sof and easy to scratch so you would need the finest possible paste. I wouldnt use Brasso

See if you can get some jewlers rouge and try it on a "hidden"part of the tank 1st

The tank would (of course) have to be empty

how did the tank get scratched with sandpaper? :o :-?

Not got kids gatito?

Dad was in the garage attempting to make adaptor for soda stream bottle, very ingrossed he was, kids coming and going, Can I have this dad can I have that dad and the rest as they say is history. :( :-? :D:bow:

Someone gave us some Prenzels Tipsy Topping and one day I realised the level was dropping dramatically. A quick check and I discovered our young son had been pouring it on his Weetbix!

Anyway... back to the scratches. Have you tried any of the suggested methods yet?

Someone gave us some Prenzels Tipsy Topping and one day I realised the level was dropping dramatically. A quick check and I discovered our young son had been pouring it on his Weetbix!

Anyway... back to the scratches. Have you tried any of the suggested methods yet?

What are Prenzels Tipsy Topping???