What to do Sand or Stones?

sub.z

I like the look of sand better, but my gravel tank is far easier to clean. Plants prefer sand though. I suppose it's personal preference. In future, I think I'd probably stick with gravel, just cos it's so easy to vacuum (although some people say that vacuuming gravel isn't important?)

I collect my own river sand - that way I can find sand that isn't too fine, which means it easy to vac - but also looks good and the fish can play with it (my fronts are always sifting trough it looking for food!).

Its really easy to collect - in any river with a sand bar, the sand is naturally sorted into different grades so there is always a good patch of the right sized grain.

Stones are certainly easier to work with. Simple to gravel vac etc and in all honesty I prefer stones.

But sand is cheaper, and some species prefer the sand (fire eel, geo etc) which are the only two reasons I'll use sand in my tanks. I wouldn't worry about goldfish eating sand, lots of coldwater ponds have sand in them and the fish don't die. If they do swallow any, it'll pass.

Proper sand like river sand or propergating sand is awesome, kind of a cross between stones and standard sand, although I always end up with that cheap '0-5mm' coarse sand which needs one hell of a wash, and half of it is too small to use. Fine sand pieces are a pain in the bum, so try to get sand that is 3-5mm.

Biggest downside to sand is it can clamp up and become anaerobic (sp?) in patches. Stones always have gaps between them, so the water around them stays oxygenated, so even if you forget to gravel vac there, it wont be too much of a bacterial-wonder-land. I prefer the look of sand, but always found stones easier for maintenance. Sand also makes digging a little TOO attrative for some of my fish at times.

I temporarily put my jag cichlid in a planted sand tank, within a few days it was totally destroyed, and he'd dug the sand so much rocks fell over. With stones the digging was a bit of a slower process.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an idea, I used "Sure shielding sand" its the stuff they use in the dairy industry to coat the floors mixed with an epoxy resin, the sand is golden in colour and the grains are the size of raw sugar not to big and not to small :D look up in the yellow pages maybe floor coatings ?? I bought some off a local company here i wouldnt imagine it to be difficult to get hold of ( "Sure Shielding" sand)