Discus and Plecos??

brishe

Can these fish live in harmony together??

Also can a pleco that has been in a cold water setup adjust to a tropical setup ok??

I am looking at one that has been kept with goldfish on trademe and we would like something to do the cleaning in our discus setup.

Do be aware tho that there have been cases reported that Plecs etc can suck on to the sides of discus, so more or less it's a case of give it a try... I have smaller fancy plecs with discus and never had a problem.

The Plec would live happily in tropical temp however I would make it a gradual temp rise due to the fact that it's obviously been acclimatized to cold water.

Do be aware tho that there have been cases reported that Plecs etc can suck on to the sides of discus, so more or less it's a case of give it a try... I have smaller fancy plecs with discus and never had a problem.

The Plec would live happily in tropical temp however I would make it a gradual temp rise due to the fact that it's obviously been acclimatized to cold water.

it has happened to me once, the pleco tried to suck on but the discus went nuts and threw him off...that was a common pleco.....in saying that, i never had another pleco do it

i think the chances are very slim

Hmmm, Big flat surface not too unlike a large rock or the glass. Not that hard to imagine that a pleco might suck onto it just like any other large flat surface.

Personally, if the discus can't shake the pleco off it deserves to be eaten.:)

I've seen a BN get a "taste" for discus slime and do it repeatedly until she was removed.

To all you PETA people out there - I didn't kill her, she went to a breeding colony to live happily ever after and make lots and lots of discus sucking babies... :lol:

This is my biggest issue. Make sure you quarantine the pleco before adding to the discus.

Frenchy :D

Overnight i went off the idea of having a pleco and may stick to my favourites the bristlenose!!

I have a male and female golden bristlenose with my big bristlenose in our other tank and he doesnt like them at all when they were babies he was really good with them but as they reach maturity i see more and more fights, i had to rehome our female bristlenose as she was forever being hassled by him and got really stressed.

So i might let him have his peaceful life and move the two goldens with the discus, i will have to wait until i get it established any way.

But i did like the look of those plecos on trademe!!

What sort of Plecs are they on TM brishe?

Your Golden Black Eyes would be a great idea, just keep an eye that they aren't discus suckers, so do it, some don't.

Ok i will do that, our female common bristlenose use to suck on to the side of our male dwarf gourami but he seemed to like it and would go up to her and nudge at her and she would latch herself on for a bit then let go it was weird!!!

One is listed as a "Red spotted gold pleco"?? and the other the person is not sure what kind it is but its been in cold water with goldfish and is a "Black one".

I have just aquired a 20cm Pleco, as he has just been evicted for sucking onto and killing a friends discus.

I saved him from being cat food they tell me.

Yes i think i will stick to my little bristlenoses, good on you for saving it, i do have a soft spot for plecos though.