Tail rot

brishe

One of my 6 young discus has got a bit of tail rot, i think this occurred when it was getting picked on when there was only the three, they are all doing exceptionally well except the tail rot i cant seem to get rid of it.

I have done a treatment of furan 2, a couple of the others have got a couple of small white spots, should i try another treatment of Furan 2 or is there anything else i can do, i am in the process of moving them into a 200 litre tank this week and i would like to get on top of it, any suggestions??

Do the white spots look like they are sort of growing from out of the skin. Twice to 3 times the size of white spot?

I am thinking could be skin flukes. Google pictures & compare to see. Don't know what is in furan. In disease books, skin flukes & gill flukes are treated with different chemicals.

Frenchy :D

One of the discus has got two small spots on one fin, the picked on one has got white on the edges of it fins and its tail is ripped.

When i treated them with furan the first time it cleared up the other discus but not the worst one, but i think i only did one course of furan 2.

There are no spots on their bodies only tails or fins.

Tail rot is an oportunistic bacterial disease that is secondary to damage and should therefore be fixed by a double treatment with furan

Ok i will do that, thanks for the advice. It definatly happened when it was getting picked on and now everyone is happy, i learned the hard way and will never only have three discus babies again, absolutly a bad number to have.

Always read the instructions with medication. If you don't do the second course you run the risk of creating a resistant bacteria/fungus. I think (don't trust my memory: read the packet) that Furan 2 needs more than one dose with a water change in the middle and then a second course.

Always read the instructions with medication. If you don't do the second course you run the risk of creating a resistant bacteria/fungus. I think (don't trust my memory: read the packet) that Furan 2 needs more than one dose with a water change in the middle and then a second course.

I was told by the person at our lfs that i only need to do one dose then 24hrs later add some more then 24hrs after that do a water change, it wasnt until i looked it up on the net that iread that i should of done another course 24hrs after the water change :x i hope it wont cause me any problems, i have been adding tonic salt after each water change and the whiteness on the tail has gotten better so i might just see how that goes but i will also do a Full Furan course too.

For each 10 gal (37.85L) use one capsule. wait 24 hours and repeat dose. wait another 24 hours then make a 25% w/c. repeat this treatment for a second time. make a final 25% w/c and add activated carbon. treatment may be repeated if necessary.

Thats what it says (in short) on the back of my pack, i always w/c'd out the last treatment though, never used carbon.

For each 10 gal (37.85L) use one capsule. wait 24 hours and repeat dose. wait another 24 hours then make a 25% w/c. repeat this treatment for a second time. make a final 25% w/c and add activated carbon. treatment may be repeated if necessary.

Thats what it says (in short) on the back of my pack, i always w/c'd out the last treatment though, never used carbon.

The only thing stopping me from doing the treatment is that i am needing to do a waterchange at least once a day if not twice. As the fish are still in a small tank, we have got the new 200 litre tank and got the new filter today but it arrived smashed!!! :evil: i was not happy as i want to get them in the bigger tank asap now i have to send the filter back.

So will they be ok skipping a few water changes??