Going BIG

petplanet

Well I have been humming and harring about what to do with my big fish and have pretty much decided that big fish need a big tank.

Now the biggest problem is the price if I get a big glass tank. I was originally planning 700 deep x 750-1000 wide x 2.5-3m long. Got some pricing on various tank sizes and lets just say, not cheap.

I remember seeing this guys tank 1700 gallon shark tank:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_1700g_tank_1.php

Now I don't want to go that big but he mentioned plans for plywood tanks on this website.

http://www.garf.org/index.html

This is the basic design they have.

frame140.gif

They don't recommend going as deep, wide or long as I would like. I thought if I used their basic design and beefed it up it may be an option.

Space and weight are not to much of a factor as this tank will be going in the basement and feeding off my sump room. I would like to have a long, wide tank with a coral island at each end and bucket loads of swimming room. Dimensions of 4m long x 1.2m wide x 700 deep. That would be $4-5000.00+ if it was glass.

Far out, that's 3360 litres of water!!!!

I thought I could put the whole tank in a metal frame (probably stainless), use double thickness over lapping plywood(screwed and glued), and three or four glass front panes. The tank could then have the metal bands running right around the tank for support.

Basically the plywood is painted with two-part epoxy paint for potable water tanks (nasty stuff). I could then silicon in the glass panes and then recoat the whole thing with this silicon epoxy pond paint (not sure what it is called but it rocks).

Any thoughts?

I always wanted a massive tank, thought about a steel frame and then line with cool store walling , aliminium sheet either side of 6 inch polystyrene.

could take off one side of walling and fibreglass the inside

anyone got any thoughts on that

cheers mark

It is going to be a saltwater tank so metal and aluminium are not good options. It will be sitting about 900mm of the floor.

I was told that the Butterfly Creek 11 metre tank is ply construction so I am trying to find out who made it to get some tips.