hello

alisha

Hi everyone

Just found your website today and thought finally we have a great fish forum in NZ.

I have Two fish tanks. One is an approx 70 litre tank with 1 black ghost knife fish, 1 albino krib, 1 chocolate talking catfish and 1 plecostomus. This tank is going to have to be upgraded soon to a bigger tank to accomodate the growing needs of the black ghost knife fish and the plecostomus.

The other tank is a four foot (470 litres) cold water marine tank with 8 pot bellied seahorses in it. I have only had the cold water marine tank going for about three months so any advise or help would be greatly apprieciated. I am also looking for live food for my seahorses as growing brine shrimp to a size that the seahorses will actually eat it is becoming increasingly hard.

Thats it for me...

Alisha

>> I understand feeding seahorses can be very time consuming!

and that grooming them is even harder :P

(we'll i've never heard any seahorse jokes before)

um... welcome to the show Alisha ;)

i definatly agree with you on the "finally we have a great fish forum in NZ" comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. I too have never heard any seahorse joke before today.

Feeding the seahorses is really easy. I feed them frozen mysis shrimp, but would love to try them on something live. Will definately try breeding a few guppies (sorry all guppy lovers).Would love to get my hands on some live mysis shrimp though

Welcome Alisha :) I just visited the Picton Aquarium and they had sea horses there. From adults to wrigglers :wink: Maybe if you rang, or wrote to them they would give you a few hints for keeping healthy sea horses. All the staff we met were just wonderful in answering our many questions on all of the fish in the aquarium. Well worth a visit if you are in the Picton area.

sounds like you have the bug!

i have 7 tanks at the moment and my neighbour has just re-glassed his conservatory so i'm building another hundred or so from those, then i'll have to take over his garage as well as the rest of my lounge and study.

i think i'll dig a basement... yeah! i wonder if i can train my fish to do that so i can concentrate...

*at this point Dark was wrestled to the ground by an expert crack team of orderlies and put back in his padded cell*

...i wonder if this padding is waterproof...

*swimmmmmm*

i don't know.

i have been doing fish for about 10 years but only recently did i become a fish geek.

i think i'll do a little breeding, a little growing, and make some nice display tanks, like one to put on the servery 'twixt my kitchen and dining room (where spoony the ghost knife will live).

as for the rest of them, i might sell them off cheaply or auction a pile of them - i didn't think that far ahead really... although i really want a big trickle filter...

and its probably more like 30 tanks...

thats what im afraid off. My partner and i kind of have this deal new fish tank means he can get a new Four wheel Drive or fix an expensive part. My house will be full of tanks and you wont be able to get into our house with all the Four wheel drives parked in the driveway!!!!

Underneath it all im sure there is a fish geek in my partner. Many a time i have come around the corner to see him talking to my fish. You should have seen how excited he was when he saw one of my seahorses put her eggs into the males pouch. I was sure the whole world knew about it. He is helping me with my three foot tank, so i am sure that he will be converted soon

Hi Chris

I am running a canster filter (eheim 2215) from memory with a home made light (120cm bulbs), in the near future would like to get protein skimmer but it is not completely essential at the moment as everything is running smoothly apart from the temperature (keeping that down). Combating that with a fan which runs over the top of the water and a chiller that my partner has also made (hes so talented)

Food wise i buy frozen mysis shrimp, i am growing brine shrimp and the occasional baby guppy.

They are pretty easy to look after and take up the same amount of time as my freah water tank. Minus side is that you have a saltwater tank that you can not decorate with coral, but there is some form of sea plants that you can put in the tank that can look really affective.

Hi diver

the chiller consists of an old chilly bin with the return line from the filter run through it.

the plastic pipe is coiled in the chiller which is then filled with ice.

we have put a tap in the bottom to drain out the water as the ice melts.

I also put coke bottles with frozen water in them on the top of the water in the tank on most days. The chiller is affective in lowering the temperature by a couple of degrees. I really only need to use it on hot days as i keep the temperature of my tank between 19 - 22 degrees.

Another way of doing this is to get an old cheap bar fridge and run the return line through the freezer compartment.

Hi diver

the chiller consists of an old chilly bin with the return line from the filter run through it.

the plastic pipe is coiled in the chiller which is then filled with ice.

we have put a tap in the bottom to drain out the water as the ice melts.

I also put coke bottles with frozen water in them on the top of the water in the tank on most days. The chiller is affective in lowering the temperature by a couple of degrees. I really only need to use it on hot days as i keep the temperature of my tank between 19 - 22 degrees.

Another way of doing this is to get an old cheap bar fridge and run the return line through the freezer compartment.

Do you fill the pipe up every day with ice? So its sorta like this:

------[____]-----

^in ^chiller ^out

With drilled holes in the sides? Thats quite a neat idea, and I have a big chilly bin here which I haven't used for ages.

Hi Chris

We didnt drill holes in the side for the pipe. By taking of the handle on the chilly bin we had two holes where the handle used to be. We then coiled piping inside of the chilly bin and put ice around the coils. When the water passed through the chilly bin and through the coils the ice cools down the water and is then returned to the tank. If you are going to do this on a larger scale i would suggest putting a tap in the side of the chilly bin to drain the melted ice. I have a tap in mine and it makes it much easier to drain. Will try and get a few pictures of my set up soon for you.