White Worm Culturing

HummingBird

I set up a couple of ice cream containers today with a 50/50 mix of peat moss and potting mix and seeded them with some white worms. I was just curious as to what media everyone else uses for theirs, and what they feed them? I've got a big tin of expired fish flake that I'll be feeding mine. Also how does everyone collect theirs? In the (not so successful) past I've just scraped off the ones that are crawling on the sides of the container, but I've heard talk of using a plane of glass, does anyone use this method?

Yeah I wondered about using the Peat moss for that reason but a number of articles I've read on the net recommended it so I went with it. I'll wait till I hear what everyone else is using and if there've been any bad experiences with peat, and if there have I might start a new culture without it.

What I use is expired potting mix from repotting plants. I prefer to keep them in wooden boxes with the parts in contact with the potting mix protected by cut up shopping bags. I find the wood lasts longer but still lets the culture breathe. I feed enough luncheon to only last two days and feed under a piece of glass. The glass retains the moisture and the worms congregate round the food and can be easily picked up. With icecream containers I found they got too wet and wanted to climb up the walls all the time. They like to be cold and do not like the heat. I keep a number around in different places in case one turns to custard. This also allows you to grow more worms so that if you are feeding heavily you can leave one to catch up and grow. If the media is too rich they will feed on that rather than the food you are giving them.

Thanks alan, I'll try out a wooden box and see how it goes, I've got a few lying around that should be suitable. I had wondered about them feeding on the mix instead of the food, but that's just something I'll have to wait through I guess because we don't have many pot plants around the house due to a member of the family with allergies. My fish should be fine in the meantime, I've got plenty of bloodworms, mosquito larvae and even daphnia coming from my ponds in spite of the lower temperatures, I feed them on yeast and they multiply crazily fast - I harvest almost every day to keep them overpopulating.

Out of curiosity how do you feed the yeast to your daphnia and how much? I have a small culture in a 20 litre tank and have been struggling to get green water to add for food so they are not doing much at present. If I can figure a better way to feed them I will get one going in a 200 litre drum. I got my expired potting mix from the local nursery.

I give the yeast a little warm water and sugar then I leave it in a cup for about a quarter of an hour to activate. I've got them in a standard sized paddling pool and I feed them about half a cup every week or when the water starts to clear up again. They'll eat anything that's unicellular, so that can be green water (algae), bacteria from decomposing matter, or yeast, which is probably the easiest food to maintain. I also give them Daphnia Boost which is a gutloading formula for daphnia so they have a lot more vitamins, amino acids and minerals and whatnot. Surprisingly it got through MAF fine when it was mailed to me but the guy who was selling it sent me a free sample of "wormloader" as well which MAF confiscated - if you're planning on buying any make sure you tell him to leave that out.

Yeah all potting mix contians fertiliser - peat is good cause its nice and pure... I guess the acidity could be a problem but I know you are ment to use peat when you start up a wormfarm (eathwrms I mean) and then add a bit of lime to bring the pH up - so don't see why it wouldn't be the same...