Floating gold fish??

brishe

I am posting this on behalf of my parents.....

They have a large 1400 litre pond with about 20 20-25cm goldfish in it.

They have had next to no problems with the fish in the 8 years of taking it over when purchasing the house.

Yesterday they found one of the orandas was floating upside down but is still alive, its belly is distended unevenly more to the left of its body. But doesnt look like dropsy as its scales are still flat.

When its touched it swims back down under the water but slowly comes back to the surface again. It looks aweful to watch it floating around this large pond and i would like any ideas how i could help it, i am going there tommorrow to take it out of the pond and start with some tonic salt, but any other ideas would be great, thanks alot in advance.

Yeah, sounds like constipation problems as one of my goldfish did the same thing. Move it to a small bucket with a gentle airstone and put in a couple of teaspoons of epson salt (cures constpation), feed it peas for the day and it might be OK. Mine had this treatment and fully recovered with the day, he's now happily out in the pond getting conditioned for spring. Also, tell them not to feed pellets, this is what normally causes the problem, flakes are good. Goodluck :D

Yeah, sounds like constipation problems as one of my goldfish did the same thing. Move it to a small bucket with a gentle airstone and put in a couple of teaspoons of epson salt (cures constpation), feed it peas for the day and it might be OK. Mine had this treatment and fully recovered with the day, he's now happily out in the pond getting conditioned for spring. Also, tell them not to feed pellets, this is what normally causes the problem, flakes are good. Goodluck :D

Thats funny you say that about the pellets as they have only just started feeding pellets a couple of moths ago previous to that they fed flakes and had no problems. Thanks.

You have to be careful feeding goldfish once the temp drops below 10C as their digestive systems shut down (only partially in warmer areas) and they can have constipation and other problems as their systems can't process the food as normal. I stopped feeding our pond fish a couple of months ago.

If they can, put the fish in a small tank and bring the temp up in it. The fish should come right again. Once it has, put it back in the pond. Just a tank inside a warm house would do, no need for a heaterstat.

A cooked, shelled pea would help it's digestion too.

You have to be careful feeding goldfish once the temp drops below 10C as their digestive systems shut down (only partially in warmer areas) and they can have constipation and other problems as their systems can't process the food as normal. I stopped feeding our pond fish a couple of months ago.

If they can, put the fish in a small tank and bring the temp up in it. The fish should come right again. Once it has, put it back in the pond. Just a tank inside a warm house would do, no need for a heaterstat.

A cooked, shelled pea would help it's digestion too.

Thats interesting thanks Caryl, so you dont feed your pond fish at all in the winter?

We have got a goldfish in a tank inside at the moment( i posted" goldfish Rescue") we have just set up a pond and want to put it out there, is it too cold to introduce it? i dont think its ever been in a pond.

Its just the loan tank we have is only about 20litres and much too small for the fish.

If it has never been outside I would wait for warmer weather (depending on your temps). Our big pond iced over last night.

No I do not feed the fish over winter as they do not eat during the cold months.

We havnt started getting frosts or ice yet and the days are still warm but it is getting colder, and i will tell my parents to stop feeding the fish, thanks alot.

I have just picked up the fish and its stomach is rock hard and about the size of a golf ball and it is very disorientated, i will keep it inside tonight and treat with epsom salts and tonic salt and if no improvement we will have to put it down as its not fair to leave it.

It is very old so maybe its just its time, it has got small tumours all over it and one on its tail so it could be a huge tumour, i will let you know how we get on, thanks for your help.

By tumours, if you mean white wart-like lumps, that will be carp pox. Highly contagious but not life threatening. Like warts in humans.

What do you mean by "old"? A goldfish can live over 30 years.

Yes they are like that, most of the fish have them in the pond, is there a cure for them?

They have had them for a long time and are ok but they just look aweful.

I didnt realise that they can live so long.

Knowing they can live so long makes me wonder if there is anything else i can do for this fish.

Its still the same this morning, floating around on its back.

I put one teaspoon of epsom salts in with 10litres of water is this the right dosage??

Are there any other meds that i should try??

One site I found suggested (for bettas but I guess any fish) 1Tbs Epsom salts per gallon (US) and bathe fish in it for 15 - 20 mins. Can be repeated up to 2x daily.

A goldfish site said 1 - 2 Tbs per 10 gallons (US). Yet another said 1 level tsp per 4 gallons (US) :roll:

I have never tried Epsom Salts on fish so can't say from personal experience. It will take a day or 2 for it to work I suspect, especially since its digestive system will have shut down.

There is no cure for the carp pox, it is a virus I think.

One site I found suggested (for bettas but I guess any fish) 1Tbs Epsom salts per gallon (US) and bathe fish in it for 15 - 20 mins. Can be repeated up to 2x daily.

A goldfish site said 1 - 2 Tbs per 10 gallons (US). Yet another said 1 level tsp per 4 gallons (US) :roll:

I have never tried Epsom Salts on fish so can't say from personal experience. It will take a day or 2 for it to work I suspect, especially since its digestive system will have shut down.

There is no cure for the carp pox, it is a virus I think.

Thanks for all your help Caryl, i will try some more epsom salts. :D