Has anyone had success in breeding Bettas?

Doc Holiday

I found them a piece of cake to breed.

two things to watch for

[b]1) that the male doesn't kill the female. Initially i seperated the female and male by placing her into a smaller tank inside the breeding tank. When the male had built a nest and she had a series of vertical bands showing i allowed them to get intimate. Although you need to watch that the male does not kill the female (or on occasion vice versa) so if his chasing is too excessive place her back into the small tank and allow them to meet the following day. there will be aggressive mating rituals (chasing, fin nipping, etc) so allow for these. the actual breeding is amazing to watch, such an aggressive mating and then just a calm peaceful "hugging" when the eggs are released.

Remove mum after breeding and dad will care for eggs, when fry are free swimming remove dad and feed fry green water or a liquid food, followed by brine shrimp nauplii or micro worms after another week.

2) that the temperature of the air above the water is close to the temp of the water. This allows for the labyrinth to form. If the temp is not equalish your fry will die within the month. They will present with little red dots on there foreheads where the labyrinth would normally be. I'm not 100% sure but i am guessing that they haemmorhage and bleed into the labyrinth site.