June 13, 200719 yr comment_167707 I have just caught 5 leopardfish fry from the tank. and dont know what to do with them.It is they only coldwater tank in the house and there are no spare tanks at the moment. could i float a container with water and the fry in the tank? Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167715 good work it looks like mine are going to drop some soon as well what are you feeding yours yea a container should be ok do you have any breeding traps ? Report
June 13, 200719 yr Author comment_167717 im using a small tank at the moment so no room for breeding traps.im just feeding them on flakes at the moment because theres only 4 of them in the tank. Could wcmm's be kept in the same tank as them? Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167721 about 25L its over stocked tho :oops: i do 2 water changes a week About 40% each time Report
June 13, 200719 yr Author comment_167722 mine is less than 20L with a hangon filter that is designed for a 40L tank. I only got the 4 leopardfish at the moment tho. Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167726 The only problem with keeping leopard fish and WCMM together is they will eat each others fry :evil: Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167729 Ohhh.. where's a non bouncing green smiley to show EXTREME JEALOUSY!!!!! Well done both of you I will definitely be begging for some of your fry in the nearish future! (I've been promised a new tank but it's tied to some conditions which I haven't met yet!! :-? ) Dixon, over the summer I had goldfish fry that I plonked into a plastic tub (like from the warehouse or payless plastics) I put plants in it and kept it in a sunny spot. It got some algae which the fry just ate anyway! My fry were fine with no filter I guess because of the plants. I used an airhose to clean any gunk from the bottom. Also with the water being cold this time of year it will hold plenty of oxygen so I bet they wouldn't need an airpump either. Once they get bigger you could probably put them back into the tank? Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167731 I am pretty sure the minnows would hunt them down and eat them, as they do with their own fry if they can get at them. Would keep the little Leopards in plastic tub until they get bigger. I have bought myself several of those small plastic tanks from the payless plastic shops for these purposes when there is no tank available. Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167732 Carla, Do you know if the leopard fish would eat their own fry? Report
June 13, 200719 yr Author comment_167734 What would a good male:female ratio for breeding them? Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167739 Carla, Do you know if the leopard fish would eat their own fry? Yes they do, same as guppies. Meaning they do not really hunt them down, like the minnows do, they are real hunters, but will make a little effort and if they catch it fine, if not they won't really pursue them. However as all adults will dart at them a fair share will be eaten, same as with guppies. So if you have lots of plants you will always have some fry survive, however if you want to increase the numbers quickly it pays to catch them as you see them floating around and raise them in another tank until they are big enough not to make a meal anymore. They do not have so many babies compared to guppies or platies and also seem not to have babies as often, maybe because they are kept colder. So all in all their multiplying factor is relatively slow compared with other livebearers. Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167764 with most livebearers a 1 male to 2 or 3 females is best to stop the males harasing females Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167771 I haven't found leopardfish or wcmms particularly bad at eating fry, their own or each others :-? Report
June 13, 200719 yr comment_167792 Ah - you must be feeding them extra well then In fact I have found on some websites (when I did a bit of quick research into the fish - after we bought them of course) that Leopardfish will eat ALL their young. This is definitely not the case as I have observed. But they are not partial to a quick snack if they can get it. However the minnows which I had indoors for a while so I could see better what they actually do all day were real hunters. They would creep up and then dart onto the babies. In fact onto anything that moved. I guess where they come from they have to be opportunistic or die. Report
August 10, 200719 yr comment_177324 What did you end up feeding your fry Dixon? I bought Wilson's leopards and found 2 'bubbas' ( ) today! Report
August 10, 200719 yr Author comment_177327 i tried to feed them BBS but the bbs didnt hatch... i did something wrong. o only one of them is left. Report
August 10, 200719 yr comment_177328 Never mind.. there will be more I'm not really expecting my 2 to live since i'ts my firt time with them anyway. Do you have any tips? Where did you end up putting them? Report
August 10, 200719 yr comment_177349 Leopardfish fry will eat finely crushed flake food. They will survive with the adults if there is plenty of fine leaved plant for them to shelter in. Mine were never as prolific eaters of fry as guppies or other livebearers. Report
August 10, 200719 yr Author comment_177360 i didnt have many plants in there then.And i have also realised the dont eat that much. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.