Ancistrus dolichopterus on TradeMe!!!

Faran

"Synonyms are Ancistrus temminckii and Xenocara dolichopterus."

I was seriously stoked when I first came across this auction, then I realized that it's just common bristlenose rather than the smaller version of my Starlights Bristlenoses. Told the person, they were pretty understanding and said they would correct it in the future.... but three weeks later it's still the same.

What would you do?

And I apologize but I don't think it would be prudent to list the auction. I'm pretty sure you'll only find one person selling anything named "dolichopterus" on TradeMe though :)

Oh, for those of you that don't know what I'm on about, these are Dolichopterus - http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... ies_id=221

The person has regular everyday common bristlenoses.

The common bristlenose seems to be of uncertain taxonomic status.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm. ... cle_id=112

One of the synonyms uses the species name dolichopterus, so its an understandable mistake. However, given you've let them know they should change it.

I've also seen Echinodorus brevipedicellatus used on Trade Me which is apparently a synonym for E. amazonicus - the Amazon sword.

Yeah, I always figure it's a bit of ignorance playing in when people do this, but I was pretty specific and they replied that they understood, thanks for the clarification, etc etc and then it was back up exactly as before.

Reporting it as fraudulent behavior is a bit harsh, aye :D

I've also seen Echinodorus brevipedicellatus used on Trade Me which is apparently a synonym for E. amazonicus - the Amazon sword.

Saw that as well. A quick post in the Q&A section to the seller, who happened to be a local I know, straightened it out and he sold many Amazon Swords happily ever after.

Alan, as I don't know who the person is on here I'm going to put up a link to this on the auction so hopefully they read it and take notice. Thanks for your assistance, top.

I was seriously stoked when I first came across this auction, then I realized that it's just common bristlenose rather than the smaller version of my Starlights Bristlenoses.

Now here is your chance:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =104511914

Not the picture of the fish, but just have faith aye :)

Or write them a little note maybe ?? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

That is a big problem with trademe in my opinion, you are putting full trust in the seller with no idea whether they are telling the truth or have taken a photo of another fish and put it on auction, yeah, you might be able to not complete the trade, but the hassle of travelling to find its not the actual described item.

Personally I sometimes leave my contact details and use trademe as a 'trade and exchange' where I phone and ask many questions to be certain... Against the trademe rules but there is no other way really.

• 3 weeks later...