Mudfish

Milet

Nice link btw - It must be quite a new section to their site cause it wasn't there when I went looking about a year ago - I like this quote in the "Things you can do" section;

"Avoid introducing other fish, such as trout"

Haha!! So the Department of Conservation are telling the public that - and yet people still release them by the thousand to fish for each year... nice!

the Canterbury mudfish is seriously endangered and the other species are also becoming restricted in distribution through habitat destruction (drainage of swamps etc). I don't think they actually have legal protection, but aquarium-keepers going out and catching them isn't going to be doing the species any good. Leave them where they are. If you want native fish, get bullies, inanga etc

If you want natives I think its best to stick to the whitebate sp. - beat the whitebaters (who eat them) to it and you won't be making much of a dent in the population! (Saw some Giant Kokopu's at Napier a few ago - awesome looking fish :))

95% of whitebait are inanga. The other galaxiids almost miss the whitebait season so you need to get them beginning and end of season to try for something different (and then wait for them to grow up so you know what you've got!). There are some bully fry mixed in with whitebait as well quite often (blue-gills and others). Its lots of fun growing them up and seeing if there's a surprise in there.

I'd definitely be keen to catch a load of whitebait and grow them out to see what is in there. Might be interesting to do an Aquarium World article to show people what's REALLY in the white bait fritters, aye?

Milet - the website you gave was pretty self evident on if they're an allowed species or not -

"Mudfish/kowaro are regarded as a taonga (treasured) species to iwi." - Maybe it's just cuz most of my neightbourhood is Maori, but that woulda told me something...

"There are five species of mudfish all of which are threatened:" - yeah, threatened usually means 'don't touch'

That said and done, what a cool fish! We have our very own Birchirs!

cool :) So how long does it take till you an identify them?

not long. Maybe a month or less. The two commonest species, inanga and koaro are easily told apart. Feed them up and they grow like weeds. The fry themselves can be distinguished from one another but you need to know what to look for. There's actually only five species that make up the whitebait run (most galaxiids spend the whole life-cycle in freshwater). The fry of the giant kokopu mainly come upriver after the main season (and not really likely to find them on the east coast); banded kokopu make up a large part (relative to other non-inanga species) in some areas particularly in Oct/Nov; shortjaw kokopu minor part (and not in the east); koaro are common and widespread. Of the two commonest species, inanga are mid-water swimmers as adults while koaro are mainly bottom-dwellers. All the galaxiids and bullies mix well together in tanks.

Okay, so who's taken the time to raise and try and breed some of these natives? I've read that the dwarf galaxiids live their entire life in cold water and thinking of giving them a go.We have some darn clean water in NZ and it's going to be tough getting them adjusted to aquarium conditions, but they should be sweet a generation or two down the line...

apart for the five I listed earlier, all the NZ galaxiids are thought to be solely freshwater fish, so any would be good candidates for captive-breeding attempts. I'd just go with whatever is found locally to you. Don't actually think it'd be that difficult. Might have to play around with simulating seasons or rains or whatever, but that's nothing new to catfish-breeders right?