peat

Barrie

I use the expensive imported palletized stuff from the pet shop. I put it in small netting bags and boil it in rainwater many times until it stops producing the colour I want. I keep them in plastic bags between boils. It is about $50 a bag but they break them down to smaller bags for about $8.00.

Any peat will do the job so long as it doesn't have added fertilizers etc. Each time you boil it you get rid of some of the solubles like tannin that you are after. There comes a point when it is leached out but is still useful for bottom spawners or egg storage.

Barrie, you may recall the term Jiffy Peat, it was talked about last century and even mentioned in books of an English origin

You can get them from most Garden Centres, and as the "other" alan says, just make sure that they don't have fert additives.

They ate about 50mm across and 10mm thick, encased in fine mesh.

When soaked for about an hour, they have swollen to about 60mm x 60long.

Strip of the mesh, and you'll find a very fine grade of peat.

It is imperative that peat is boiled between uses, one, it kills any harmful germs, but it will also kill any dormant eggs, thereby cutting out the chance of mixing breeds.

A must in the NZKA.

KBK

Ive been using Hauraki Gold peat for the last two years. In fact ive just finished the big yellow bag and need to get some more. First I siv the peat to take out sticks and stones, feathers and all other large foreign matter. Then I boil the peat in my partners best pot and rinse it in a net untill there is minimal dirt colour being squeezed out of the peat. I find that its alot easier to remove as much dirt as possible because when it comes to hatching you can see newly born fry alot easier in clear water.

Cheers

Tim in 'The Fishroom'

I wouldn't use Hauraki Gold if you payed me.

It stinks( to wet ) and has to much sticks and stones in it.

I use Daltons peat, it's much finner and easy to sieve the large bits out.

Palm peat is also an option, I think that is what the peat blocks are.

jiffy type pots can be found at the local hydroponics shop as well, they do contain some fertiliser but as there intended for seedlings it's not much and can be mostly removed when saturating the peat by boiling.