Synodontis njassae and Synodontis multipunctatus value

eben

I've got a piar of Synodontis njassae and Synodontis multipunctatus. my njassae are quite big now about 7 inches. I was wondering if you guys had any idea on how much they are worth.

I paid insane amounts for these fish but they are very interesting and I probably wouldn't give them up for anything in the world.

The reason I'm asking this is to determine if I've been had with the price...

I think that a lot of Syno's used to be really over priced - but they seem to be comming down a bit now - I got a really nice one (leopard synodontis; nigromaculatus I think...) for $20 the other week which was a good find I think... last year one of my local shops was selling featherfins for $60!!

I think its very easy to say how much some fish are 'worth'

Do you have any pics??!

Well - I'm a bit cheap I guess but I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a syno - and it would have to be a VERY nice one for that! like I said I just got one (which is as nice as they can be in my eyes) for $20 - so why pay more??!

If you really want me to put a number down I'll say $40

NOT that its not a nice fish! I just think its way to easy to put $100 price tags on fish!

Yeah I know - its ok! We all have at some stage and every fish is worth what you're willing to pay for it anyway! I got mine from a very nice shop in Hastings when we had conference last week ;)

But hey - its way to easy to get hung up on money - if you like them then you like them - and you must have been ok with what ever trade/price you paid cause you went through with it! So who cares?! its not like you are going to add them to your contents insurance! :P

That is true, I've spent thousands of dollars on fish in the last 18 months that I've had my Africans. I've probably not even saved any money by breeding them, I think they probably eat what I end up getting for them.

At the end of the day I like them and enjoy them. I think I probably spent way to much on my newly aquired Frontosa's too. But I believe these are hard to get regardless.

I paid $120 for my njassae (for one) (they did happen to be labelled as a cuckoo from suppliers at that stage but definately weren't cuckoo) I paid that because we absolutely loved the fish... and they are very friendly and don't hide much at all.

The true Multi (cuckoos) were fetching up around $180 or so retail.. very nice fish also 8)

A fish is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it :D But if you were to sell them I certainly wouldn't let them go dirt cheap.. as there would be very keen interest out there for either of the species :D

My multi's were selling for $190 each I got one of them free on a trade for fry. My Njassae was selling for $110 each again I got them cheapers since I traded some fish for part of their price.

I would certainly not let them go for anything less than that though. How ever it seems like they are more common than I was lead to believe by my LFS

Multis wouldn't be what I would call common at all, good to hear you got your hands on some of the true species that came in ;):D

Njassae are around and about, but definately not what I would class as a commonly found syno either... They seem to have come in off and on :D

The ones I have are about 4 to 5 inches big at the moment. I'm not sure if I have a male and female - they dont stay still for long and I also have no idea how to sex them, but these guys are the real deal...

I bought all my fish from Hollywood Fish Farm (both shops). They normally let me know when they get interesting Africans. But I suspect now that I've discovered this forum I will probably be getting a lot of my fish from the people on here...