Where is this dummy going wrong with filter???

Lady-Lene

This new tank is turning into a real mission and I'm about fed up!

My new filter (11383 Aqua One CF2400 AQUIS Canister Filter) is just not doing the job. Had first glimpse of whitespot today - gutted!

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/aquis_advance.php

Found the picture on the above link more helpful than the instructions that came with it but something must be wrong. It should filter way better than it is. I can actually see fine particles blowing out of the spray bar.

There is a short black tube that is supposed to drop down the hole in the baskets - should this be pushed into the hole where the impellor goes? I tried that but it just drops back down when I turn it on. Its difficult to see but I'm not sure the impellor hole actually meets with the black seal on the hole down thru the baskets. Wish it was see-thru!

Do you have sponges in all the baskets? I only got them for the first two trays and the diagram in the link above shows them in all four. Would this make a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Fine "particles" may infact be air bubbles.

With your filter, you should NOT have sponge in all the baskets.

You should also have biological filtration (instead of the sponge) well - Ceramic noodles, etc, which help your bacteria remove nitrites and.

nitrates,

When I installed the spraybar on my tank, I had air bubbles for nearly a week.

I have ceramic noodles and a sponge in the top basket, a sponge and pumice type stuff (CeramiSub) in the next tray, a filter wool pad and pumice type stuff again in the 3rd and and carbon and filter wool pad in the bottom one.

No this is not air Markoshark - its definately not filtering in fact I think my little CF500 did a better job! There is garbage in the water, its turning a yellowish colour, the glass and all plants are dirty as. I now also have the cloudy look (bacterial bloom?).

Could be your noodles and pumice stuff are leaching dask particles.

Also sounds like your media is upside down in the filter.

Try in the bottom tray one sponge and noodles on it.

Middle tray the pumice stuff.

Top tray filter wool carbon filter wool.

It looks from the diagram that this filter runs the opposite way to the cf filters and that the water comes in and down through the filters and then out up the side. On the cf it goes in down the side and then out and up through the filter materials. Therefore in my reckoning the diagram is wrong. It should go

1. top basket - bioballs then sponge (sponge at the bottom of the container, not the top like the diagram,

2. middle basket - ceramic noodles then sponge (sponge again at the bottom of the basket,

3. sponges and then filter wool (wool at the bottom)

This is the complete opposite order to the cfs.

The white stuff is certainly powder leaching from the ceramic noodles, you may have to syphon it off the bottom of the tank and wipe the glass down to get rid of it.

Hi, I know what you mean about the instructions. I have the 2200 and a 2400 plus a science degree and it took me days to decipher the pamphlet. (At least if you spend the extra money for a fluval fx5 you get some understandable information.)

Anyways here's my 2 cents worth of advice:

a) There is supposed to be a foam pad in each tray. It's more about stopping the ceramic/pumice from falling through to the bottom.

b) The short black tube is supposed to be tight into the hole where the impellor goes.

c) The water flow is: down through the trays, and then up through the white tubes/holes in the baskets, through the black tube, then through the impellor. The black tube goes from the black inner seal to the impellor. The impellor doesn't sit on the black seal.

d) It sound like the black tube is dropping out of the hole which would allow for water to return to the tank without going through the media.

e) I find that it takes days for the last of the air bubbles to work their way out of the canister.

f) I ditched most of the media (especially the carbon and pumice/ceramic rocks) that came with the filter and invested in several packets of the JBL microtec and sinotec.

g) I had to get another impellor for my 2400 as the first one was out of balance and too noisy.

h) I prefer my 2200 to my 2400 but both of them are a good price for the flow rate and filter media capacity.

Hope this helps.

Oh I forgot to mention that if you didn't wash the filter media before putting it in the filter then you'll get white sand like grit getting into your tank.

Thanks so much for your help.

Could be your noodles and pumice stuff are leaching dask particles
- Washed it all thoroughly first.

alge bloom could be because the new filter isn't cycled fully, i'd suggest running both filters for a few weeks, to let the new one build up bacteria.
Hoping it won't have to as I used all the media from my old filter along with the new stuff (bigger trays)

sponge at the bottom of the container, not the top like the diagram
Yep I'll do that - makes sense

I ditched most of the media (especially the carbon and pumice/ceramic rocks) that came with the filter and invested in several packets of the JBL microtec and sinotec.
Yep already thought to change it around a little later but wanted it to settle in first.

The black tube goes from the black inner seal to the impellor. The impellor doesn't sit on the black seal. It sound like the black tube is dropping out of the hole which would allow for water to return to the tank without going through the media

HERE LIES MY ANSWER :bounce: :bounce:

The black tube will not stay pushed in there - it is loose enough to fall down the hole in the middle. Obviously the impellor entrance does not go right down to the seal hence a mix of both filtered and unfiltered water is going back into the tank.

What if I wound some plumbing tape around the tube to ensure it stays in there? Is plumbing tape safe to put in there?

Thank you soooo much ... at least I know what the problem is now. Don't know how I would have managed over the past few months without such wonderfully, knowledgeable people to call on as there are here in the forums.

:bow::bow:

If you purchased the filter new I'd take it back and ask for a replacement or at least ring the shop. If its a fault they should replace/repair for nothing.

I know its not always convenient and its a pain if you have had it shipped to you but filters aren't cheap. I don't know that plumbing tape would be a good lasting solution but then again a diy expert I'm defiantely not.

Nice .... the place I bought it off tells me I have to return it to the warehouse in Tauranga! I asked how long it would take as I have a 400 litre tank and very little filtration while it is gone. He said he didn't know but offered to sell me another filter that I could use whilst mine was being repaired or replaced. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I changed the media around and rammed the black rod up into the impellor hole and at long last it is filtering. Starting to clear :bounce:

But the catch is still broke!

I ditched most of the media (especially the carbon and pumice/ceramic rocks) that came with the filter and invested in several packets of the JBL microtec and sinotec.

OK Purplecatfish ..... googled 'microtec' and 'sinotec' and came up with scanners. What is this stuff and where do I buy it from?

Alan is very definately correct, they supplied it and its faulty so they should take it back, give you a replacement for free and then its their responsibility to return it to their supplier. Should definately not be your problem. If they value their customers and their business that is!!!

Hi Lady-Lene,

Sorry, it was my spelling mistake :-? . It's JBL SintoMec and MicroMec.

MicroMec provides 1500 square metres per litre of colonisation surface and SintoMec provides 1200 sq m per litre.

You can imagine how big the biological filter is when you fill a basket with each type 8) . It costs a bit but I think it's worth it and the fish seem to appreciate :) the low nitrate levels. I've bought mine from several LFS.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaahhhh ... the filter saga .... I purchased it online from Petmart (in Nelson I think).

Many emails have passed back and forth and still no resolution. They insist I must return it to the manufacturer in Tauranga. They could give me no time frame before it was replaced so offered to buy another one if they would refund the money on the first when it was returned. They flatly refuse any refund and insist the manufacturer has a 'replace or repair' warranty only.

After much ado (during which time the filter was not working at all) I purchased another filter (from different seller and also different brand). Now I am left with a broken filter which I must drive over to Tauranga. They will repair it and I'll have a spare (which I do not need).

Yes I quoted the Consumers Guarantee Act and Fair Trading Act but to no avail. I have now contacted Fair Go. We'll see what happens I guess.

I will certainly not be shopping there again ...... :(

MicroMec provides 1500 square metres per litre of colonisation surface and SintoMec provides 1200 sq m per litre.

You can imagine how big the biological filter is when you fill a basket with each type

Thanks for that purplecatfish. I'm suitably impressed enough to try it out.

Oh and thanks Jayci - yeah - you might get to see my fishies an all :lol: