any turtle experts out there

Helena

I have a 600mm x 450mm tank, 1/3 of water. When I was using a small Aqua One hang on filter with fine sponge, the water was nearly chrystal clear. (had to clean the sponge every 4 - 5 days as it got clogged up).

Now I have changed to an Aqua One CF1000 and after a 25% water change every week, and in 5 days time the fine wool is quite dirty and now the water is always light brown (looks like pee, when viewed in a white container).

There is no wood in the tank only stone. The size of the 2 turtles are approx.125mm in diam. Any idseas anyone????

Hey Helena, i have a 12cm turt in a 900mm x 450mm tank, filled about 30cm with water (just over 100L). I also use a CF1000.

I haven't had any problems since installing it, no brownish water etc, but thought i'd try and help. How do you have your filter media set up?

I have been advised by John at Organism that it may be the bacteria is being killed due to the filter being cleaned in tap water and not the tank water. There is also a film on top of the water and may be protein from the food. All this due due to the filter not working properly due to the dead bacteria.

The Brown stuff is a mixture of different organic compounds from decomposing food and diluted turtle turd.

tHEcONCH would recommend that you remove all uneaten food no more than 1 hour after you feed, do more / bigger water changes (using a syphon to get all the waste under the stones), and get a bigger filter. A bigger filter will allow you to use coral debris in one tray to help nuetralise the acids in turtle urine, although no filter will completely process urine, and turtles make litres of it.

You should also consider using some sort of bacteria culture starter to get your filter working properly again and/or 'Turtle Clean' at each water change. tHEcONCH also keeps Java fern in his turtle tank to help keep the water clean and give the turtles something to nibble on from time-to-time.

tHEcONCH

Hey Helena, im not too sure how long you have had your CF100 running for but my guess is that it hasnt yet had time for beneficial bacteria to colonise the filter media and process the turtles waste.

The fact that things got messy when you swapped your filters indicates that your previous filter had a good compliment of bacteria, hence clean water.

Just try not to touch the filter media in your new filter media for a while (dont wash it for a few weeks at least) this will give time for the bacteria to become established. A bacterial product will help here. TLC seems very good.

Do plenty of water changes with a gravel siphon to dilute wastes in the water until those bacteria have a chance to get going and as the "conch" says remove any uneaten food as it will just rot and pollute the water.

When you do come to cleaning the filter just rinse the media in some water taken from your tank. (dont use tap water as the bacteria are quite sensitive to different temperatures and water composition, and if you are on chlorinated tap supply then it is a definate no no) There is no need to get the media super shiny clean like new as this will just wash away too many of the good bacteria and set progress back again.

In 3 to 4 weeks you should notice that things start to come under control again. ie clearer water with less water changes to keep it that way. Look after those bacteria and you wont have problems, Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards John

The Brown stuff is a mixture of different organic compounds from decomposing food and diluted turtle turd.

tHEcONCH would recommend that you remove all uneaten food no more than 1 hour after you feed, do more / bigger water changes (using a syphon to get all the waste under the stones), and get a bigger filter. A bigger filter will allow you to use coral debris in one tray to help nuetralise the acids in turtle urine, although no filter will completely process urine, and turtles make litres of it.

You should also consider using some sort of bacteria culture starter to get your filter working properly again and/or 'Turtle Clean' at each water change. tHEcONCH also keeps Java fern in his turtle tank to help keep the water clean and give the turtles something to nibble on from time-to-time.

tHEcONCH

would plants help?

would plants help?

Plants certainly help reduce odour by using some of the waste products in the water, but you have to be careful what you use so as not to end up adding to the problem with rotting leaves and blocked filter intakes. tHEcONCH finds java fern and large / dense sword plants to be the best option as they will withstand the 28 degree temperature and constant shredding better than most other plants, but even so they usually don't last more than a couple of months. The turtles will also dig them up looking for bugs etc, which tHEcONCH doesn't mind because it gives the turtles something natural to do. Try one and see how it goes...

Alan suggest that you take the turtles out of their tank to a basin and feed them in that.

He thinks that if this is done, a lot less pollution will be added to the tank.

They may, in fact, deposit the faeces in the bowl when you change them over.

Use a water change to put into their feed basin and replenish the water that you have removed with fresh.

Alan suggest that you take the turtles out of their tank to a basin and feed them in that.

He thinks that if this is done, a lot less pollution will be added to the tank.

They may, in fact, deposit the faeces in the bowl when you change them over.

Use a water change to put into their feed basin and replenish the water that you have removed with fresh.

but whenever they are removed from the tank, they are always too depressed/stressed to eat anything, all they would do is either paddling or not moving at all! :roll:

They will eventually get used to it and start eating, but tHEcONCH would rather feed his turtles in the main tank and make the effort and keep the main tank clean. tHEcONCH feeds once a day in the morning, removes all uneaten food after half an hour, and does a hoover up and 100% water change once a week (adding Turtle Clean) - although tHEcONCH also has the luxury of a relatively big tank, plants, a big filter with coral debris to stop the water acidifying, and Reeves turtles which are relatively small.

but whenever they are removed from the tank, they are always too depressed/stressed to eat anything, all they would do is either paddling or not moving at all! :roll:

Mine was the same at first, but it didn't take him long to get used to it, now eats happily in his bucket. He'll get the idea - Give it a shot, the results are well worth it.