arowana

Benny

I beleive Jansens are bringing in a small shipment of Gold Arowana's from Asia. If you've got a spare $4000-5000 put your name on the list for one.

The Asian Arowanas are usually quite expensive. The South American ones are much cheaper (usually $80-150 for juveniles up to 200mm long).

Shops like Jansens would not bring fish of that price in if there was not a market for them. There are people out there who would pay big money for a well bred fish. To each his (or her) own I guess but I think I would prefer the small car! :D

My understanding of the Gold arrowana situation is that they would be ordered in if someone put money up front for them (ie pay money, then wholesaler would order them from overseas, 6 weeks quarantine - loses in quarantine would be your risk).

Just watching an article on TV3 about 12 arowanas at Jansens. Priced at $5000 they have already sold one. They come with CITES certificates and other information and it took a long time to get them here through the red tape.

• 1 month later...

Folks,

The Asian Arowana (Scleropages formosus) is available in several

colour forms. They are considered good luck by some Chinese and

are often kept as status symbols. The best ones are now captive

bred (ponds rather than tanks usually) and are available with all

the documentation to support this (ie CITES paperwork etc).

I've seen them in NZ once before (don't ask me if they were

here legally or not) about 10 years ago. I've seen one or two

of the 'Australian' Arowana (Sc. jardini). Wet Pets still has one

as a display fish. The most common Arowana seen in the NZ

pet trade is, of course, Osteoglossum bicirrosum. Very occasionally

you might see a black arowana (O. ferreirai) which apparently

are only hugely different to the silver ones as juveniles.

These are all big carnivorous fish. You'll need a 6 foot tank

and lots of feeder fish, IMHO.

Have a look at http://www.dragonfish.com for all you ever wanted

to know ;-)

Andrew.

Benny said...

> so are you guys saying you have never seen a black arowana?

If you look at my last message you'll see that I say that you

may occasionally see a 'black' arowana. I can remember

seeing one or two, several years ago but not for ages... then

again, I haven't been spending as much time in fish shops as I

used to...

Andrew.

• 5 months later...

Hey benny i like your taste in fish mate Jardinis are available and they are not illegally anymore, they cost $250 for a 2 Inch fish. I have seen a black arowana at pet world in chch about two years ago. the jardinis at a foot in length are around $1000 each. I had my name down for a red asian, not through jansens through a chch wholesaler but they could not fill the orders (they werent as dare around $2000 for a red $1500 for a gold) You have to order min of 6, 3 of each. If ever in chch go to redwoods he has a nice jardini there not for sale though he got offered alot of dough for it and said nope its mine its a display fish, what a awesome display, beginners walk in and are overawed by it.:D

I love arowana's... however I could only afford a silver...

there are lots of colours as the guys here stated...red being the most expensive... then there is red tail gold...gold... green...blue... yellow... and there is also a crossback... which I think is just a red but the scales develop all the way to the top of the fish and cross at the back... something like that...never seen one though...just pictures...can anyone elaborate? there is also one called "one line dragon" where the scales crossing on the back of the fish form a straight line... and will fetch more money....

I have seen the pearl aro at redwoods...nice...but honestly... it is not a nice display tank... way too small for that fish.....I doubt it will grow much more if he keeps it in that tank... and the barbels are pretty short and stunted... I wonder why...

Hey benny i like your taste in fish mate Jardinis are available and they are not illegally anymore, they cost $250 for a 2 Inch fish. I have seen a black arowana at pet world in chch about two years ago. the jardinis at a foot in length are around $1000 each. I had my name down for a red asian, not through jansens through a chch wholesaler but they could not fill the orders (they werent as dare around $2000 for a red $1500 for a gold) You have to order min of 6, 3 of each. If ever in chch go to redwoods he has a nice jardini there not for sale though he got offered alot of dough for it and said nope its mine its a display fish, what a awesome display, beginners walk in and are overawed by it.:D

$250 isn't bad, may I ask where exactly you saw it/them?

Richard, nothing wrong with the old silver arowana they look real nice when they get to about 1m. Wet pets had one, but as I'm sure most of you know it died.

True Benny... after having my silver for almost a month... I am starting to think it is nicer than asian aro's... I like their straight back... can't wait till it grows bigger... eats a lot... i feed it 3 times a day... usually about 5 or 6 floating pellets each time... I also feed it centipedes from the garden... about 1 every 2 days... flies when there are some in the house... and it also takes some of the bloodworms I feed to the other fish

hi benny i was in welly about 2 years ago and the pet shop in town

had a big one i think it was called fins and fans some thing like that

have u seen it do they sill have it?

yeah that was a big silver, unfortunately it died the same way alot of arowana die- it obviously got nervous for some reason and jumped out the tank overnight. The owner was pretty gutted, apparently he got offered a large sum of money for it the day before.