Something very fishy going on...

ho_hum_de_dum

Morning ladies and gent's,

just something odd that has been taking place in my fantail tank, they're all dying! Their tails are obviously being munched on...as you can imagine this means the poor little thing's can't swim properly and just end up dying after a wee while (generally over night). I have NO idea who is eating their tails, or WHY.

At the local pet store, they advised me that a comet would make a good companion, so sure enough, I bought one...

I am starting to wander if that was a smart move.

*p.s. coldwater fish aren't really my speciality, more tropical*

ANY help would be much appreciated!

Thank's guys :D

In my opinion it would be the comet which is attacking your Fantails.

Fantails IMHO should not be kept with fantails as they are the fastest moving fish in the tank and get first dibs on any food in the tank.

However it is possible to keep one comet with fantails. This I have done in the past without much problems.

I have kept comets with fantails with no probs of tail chewing or starvation, both in ponds and in tanks. Is it possible they have fin-rot? This can do major damage to fantails over nite.

Also what is your pH like? I have recently had problems (and still am) with the pH in my pond and the fish appear to be healthy and then just die overnite :cry: Luckily it hasn't been all of them but it has been teh bigger fish, leaving their babies and some of the smaller fish.

How many fish do you have in what size tank? If it is overcrowded they may be tailbiting due to stress.

I have been testing the ph in Wellington water regularly and it is usually 6.5 which is too low for gold fish. Use some oyster grit in the filter and this will raise it slowly.

Never had problems with comets and fans together except that comets will get to the food quicker.

I have been testing the ph in Wellington water regularly and it is usually 6.5 which is too low for gold fish. Use some oyster grit in the filter and this will raise it slowly.

Never had problems with comets and fans together except that comets will get to the food quicker.

Excellent, thank's for that.

I will give that a go.

Everything seems to be okay for the moment, finger's crossed it stays that way.

The comet however, does look a little bit unhappy.

Finrot occurs in fish that are in poor condition usually due to rough handling,fighting,fin nipping,overcrowding,incorrect water,poor feeding and very low temperatures(below 10C) in the case of fancy coldwater fish with trailing fins.