definately not.

They are fish, and they already have names

Swordtail

Guppy

Platy

Convict

ETC

What else do you want.

The poor fish will have to go and get counselling if their names were changed.

Bad enuf to have to supply board and lodgings for them for nothing,

now the power price is going up AGAIN.

Alan

Of the (too many) fish I have, only two have names - Gregory the pearl gourami - becasue he was being "pecked" by his tank mate and Bruce - the rainbow shark (adopted last nite from my sister's tank as he was being a bully) - nephew named him - no prizes for guessing where the name came from.

BTW - a mystery solved - they found nemo...

http://www.princesadepaus.blogger.com.br/nemo.jpg

:o

If you have children, then no doubt the fish will be given names. If you have more than one of a particular species then you name them for identification. Every fish in our house is a pet and they are all individually named. Our son has named the fish and there seems to be a theme behind it, for example:

our Red Oscars are named Grover and Elmo,

our 2 Clown loaches are named Bert and Ernie,

our pleco is named Oscar (very confusing with the Oscars in the tank)

I think it's quite cool having this whole seasame street thing going on, with a couple of exceptions like

our Texas Cichlid being named Tex and

our Golden gourami named Hannah (our son wanted our baby to be called Hannah, so he called our fish that instead)

Naming the fish is an individual thing, it depends wether you class them as pets or just another piece of furniture. If you have five cats do you name them? or are they just another piece of furniture too?

Just my point of view. 8)

I name mine. Usually they're more of descriptive names to identify them.

My Surinams are big suit and little suit.

Jurupari are big punk and little punk.

Gold severums are big and little gold.

Green Severum is Green.

Green Terrors are Mr. Saum and Mrs Saum.

My two Mystus cats are Mystus and Stripe.

Redspot is Redspot.

The Jewels are Stripe, Fork, Pawprint and uh, I forget.

My Albino Pleco is Pirate because he's missing an eye.

That's all the ones that have names.

it would seem that all of my fish end up with names after a while - mostly because it is easier to say to people 'the big one that is sucking on the glass is called hoover' rather than trying to teach them how to pronounce plecostomus.

the names and reasons are:

banjo - ramius - was put in the tank and sunk straight to the bottom without moving (Hunt for the Red October)

plecostomus - hoover delongi moulinex - named after every vacume cleaner in the house for his outstanding algae sucking capabilities, guests try to call him mcJagger because of his huge lips

bristlenose plec male - bristleton - no prizes for guessing

bristlenose plec female - plecette - ditto

port hoplos (all of them) - cthulhu - reminded me of a picture from a comic i once read , small beady eyes, tentacles etc... and they live underwater... dunno, but calling them all is dangerous (cthulhu,cthulhu,cthulhu...) argh help its eating my soul! achem...

tetras (any/all) - killer attack fish - i find it amusing to convince those who do not know/are gullable that they are the most dangerous fish i have - demonstrated by their ability to destroy flake food in a series of viciously small bites

black ghost knife - cochlean - derived from the latin word for spoon (by derived i mean i forgot how to spell it) cochlean or 'spoony' as we sometimes call him is the only son of knifey and mrs X, both unfortunatly deceased due to a stupid flatmate. cochlean enjoys eating bugs, looking at what we are doing in the kitchen, and trying to make friends with ramius.

and the tadpoles are all called madpole thanks to my daughter.

the rest ofthe cast and crew of my underwater masterpiece shall remain loved but nameless.

what was that you said about them needing counselling Alan?

*produces a shopping list and holds out his hand hopefully*

My first fish was called snapper - he was a feisty 'lil brown goldfish that i caught in the heretaunga stream in havelock north - a few years before they had the carp infestation, 1989 if i recall correctly...

it has always been a habit, i'll blame my parents, to name pets. dogs, cats, birds, rabbits and fish alike i guess. The problem seems to come when there are lots of them, hence group names for shoals, but i think it is because i see characteristics in fish that end up getting named. i have quite a few unremarkable gourami who, whilst being contributing members of the community, have never done anything to earn a title greater than 'that pearl gourami over there' or 'the one that keeps banging into the end of the tank when you open the living room door'.

cochlean is my favourite fish ever - i recently put him into his own tank where he is boss, and he is now more lively than ever - if i had not named him 'spoony' because the last one was called 'knifey' i would have to think of a name for him in order to relate to his constant presense when i am cooking myself food.

of course i could call them all 'fishy' but that is like calling all your friends 'man' - (a habit i'm desperatly trying to get out of)

My goldfish that I have had for a couple of years have names. My axolotls also have names. At one stage I had about 30 goldfish and they all had names, in 1 tank all the names started with B and the other tank was a big mixture. But over time I have gotten more fish and only buy tropicals now. Our biggest Bala shark is called Bala. But everyone else is just called their names eg: platy, guppy, silver dollar, angel and the various tetras.

:lol: I used to name them all.......and still have Blossum and Billy (albino cories)

....but with the guppies - well ... :roll: now that Flash, Pinks, Zorro, Peaches, Gertie and the Golden twins are gone........and I ran out of names..........I've finally stopped :lol:

sue

8) cept for 'the dude'........... :wink: my lil loach :lol: