Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The mighty jack dempsey

Featured Replies

I got what I think is a smallish (about 4") male last weeked. I sort of read stuff about them beingreally aggressive without actually believing it. It's true though, even at a small size he seems to be fearless against the much larger fish. My siamese tiger is still definitely the boss of the tank though. Does anyone else have experience keeping the jack dempsey?

Good to see you here again Benny, its been a while.

My 5" JD doesn't seem to be really all that agressive when compared to some of my other central american cichlids like my Jag and my Midas. Even some of my big convict males (~4-5") worry him. When both my JD and my Jag were smaller (both about 3") my JD used to chase the Jag. However the Jag is much bigger than him now and the roles are reversed.

How do you tell that you have a male? I still can't tell for sure whether mine is M of F, male I think.

  • Author

Hi midas, hopefully I'll start posting again, I haven't had the net for a good part of a year. It's damn hard to sex at a small size, I looked for pointed dorsal and anal fins. I mean, I could be totally wrong and it turns out to be a female.

Have you got any pics of your JD, midas? It's a beautiful fish.

Benny said...

> Have you got any pics of your JD

I could post pictures of my JDs. Would you like the 700mL or 1L size?

Single barrel? :)

Andrew.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.