jurupari

Benny

I've got two of them. Hmmm...I think mine are somewhere around 4" I've had them for over a year and they seem to have pretty much stopped growing. So, I'd guess 4" is about full grown. Definitely not juvenile anyway. No ideas on sexing them.

Here's a link for some info. http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/cichlids/jurupari.asp

Looks like they get up to about 9 inches. I'm horrible at estimating fish sizes, maybe I should grab one of mine out of the tank and hold a ruler against him.;) Hope he's bigger than 4 inches if 9 is their potential size, otherwise I'd wonder if he's being stunted.

• 1 month later...

I've got a couple of Jurupari left (about 150mm/6 inches long). They do indead get 250mm long. I've also got 1 Surinamensis left. It is 220mm long. They get pretty big too.

The males typically have much longer fins, and long thin trailing edges off the fin tips. Males also have a flatter belly. The females tend to look a bit more like Thunderbird 2 in the belly.

• 2 weeks later...

here's a slightly better picture. From what I've read about them there are 3-4 slightly different fish that are sold as geophagus surinamensis. One of them is this, Geophagus altifrons. They only really differ in coloring, pattern and body shap stay the same. Don't know about the US if there are different strains or not.

geophagusaltifrons.jpg

• 2 months later...

Nice pics of the Surinamensis types Ira

Pic posted on the 22nd June is Geophagus brachybranchus

by the looks of it should develop a black throat and black

cheek marks lavaphile delayed mooth brooder to 25cm

Pic posted June is Geophagus altifrons ovaphile advanced

mouthbreeder to 30 cm

Great fish with lots of geovarients

Check out South American Eartheaters book by Thomas Wiedner

The best available book on Geophagines

By the looks of your import list you can import pretty well any

Geophagine (Geophagus, Satanoperca & Gymnogeophagus)

*drools over keyboard*

Chris D 8)

Yep its always the way eeh Caryl

I take it the number of importers is limited and they only see bread and butter fish for the trade from Asia :roll:

Do your importers have the same restrictions as ours?

Lisenced quarantine room

Exporter has to be lisenced to ship to importer

or the importers just aren't interested because of the small market ? :evil:

Chris D 8)

Didn't I read in one of the other sections where an importer was asking for species that were on peoples want list ?

Was it a deadend and nothing happened ?

It just seems strange that someone offers a "carrot" so to speak and then leaves you hanging instead following up and negotiate a breeding agreement to resupply them with fry for uncommon stock :-?

Chris D 8)