Hydrochloric Acid

Faran

Half a lifetime ago I was told a "breeders secret" by a discus breeder in California. He told me that the key to killing off the bacteria in the tank was to use hydrochloric acid to drop the pH to 3.5 or 4, which disturbs the fish but doesn't kill them, as long as you fix the PH and seed the tank with beneficial bacteria again. I ended up purchasing a dozen 3cm babies from him that day for $30 (total), and managed to raise 4 of them to adulthood before I gave my tanks and fish to my best friend when I joined the Marines.

Last year I ran into a discus breeder who told me about using the same technique. Personally, I was shocked to hear that people were still doing this. I still wonder if it's a humane or ethical thing to do. Can we discus whether or not you as a fish owner/breeder find this a proper thing to do?

Personally, I've seen MANY advances in the keeping of fish in the last 20 years. I don't see any reason to do something like this to your fish when so many antibiotics and medicines are available, unless you're too stingy or lazy to find out the actual problem and medicate it....

The worming substances that are discussed on this site appear very haphazard as well, sometimes reading that it has cured the problem by killing the fish!!

Yeah right!!

So I don't see much difference to what ever is used in the tank.

Too much salt can also have the same result.

I think its all just as bad as the rest.. If it killed the fish or was bad for them you would hope the breeders wouldn't do it.. As Alan pointed out alot of the other accepted methods can be just as bad, so yeah who knows you've got to get rid of the parasites and greeblies somehow..

Unfortunately some of them are just out for the money.