When is added(pump and stone) air needed?

HaNs

What filtering have you got?

If you have decent filters then extra airstones aren't needed. You can still put them in as a backup or cos they look cool, but they aren't needed if the filters are moving enough water.

Cheers

Ian

OK, so iv had the air pump off for a small period of time(24ish hrs). I have just noticed my 10 convicts, BGK, 3 silver dollars and oscar at the surface of the water looking like they are trying to eat/get air. They are all next to each other. I have turned the air pump back on to see if they stop it.

What could be causing them to do this? I only notice it when the air pump is off.

It sounds as though your tank is overstocked. Aeration ruffles the surface of the water and increases the surface area for more efficient exchange of dissolved gasses. If the fish are gasping they are short of oxygen and aeration will increase the amount available.

Hard to tell without knowing how many fish there are. The FX5 will be filtering fine but how close to the surface is the spray bar? Is it agitating the surface at all?

Eventually the oscar will need the whole tank pretty much to himself.

Agree with the others re stocking. I think the 2 cons + oscar could work long term or the oscar and three silver dollars but the bgk get rather large and generally dont hold their own against boisterous cichlids too well. Also they cant match an oscars growth which could cause issues.