Suitable substrate

new2discus

Can anyone recommend a good, but not overly expensive substrate setup for a planted tank, was thinking a few mm of Dalton's aquatic mix, covered by a thin layer of propagating sand (to keep the mix in place??) then an inch or so of small to medium gravel.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated 8)

Can anyone recommend a good, but not overly expensive substrate setup for a planted tank, was thinking a few mm of Dalton's aquatic mix, covered by a thin layer of propagating sand (to keep the mix in place??) then an inch or so of small to medium gravel.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated 8)

A few mm?

I have at least 15mm of Aquatic mix, then about 20mm of small gravel on top. I also put a thin layer of propogating sand underneath the Aquatic Mix, my theory on this was to stop it going stagnant on the bottom and try and get some circulation going on down there. Don't know if it does or doesn't make any difference, though!

I found the finder the gravel substrate the better, I also have florapol in between the layers of my substrate. Make sure you use a plate to brake he water or your tank will end up in a brown cloudy mess and you will have start all over again as the filter will not clean it

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, I went shopping today for substrate for the new tank I am setting up. I have found some Dalton's Aquatic mix, but they hadn't heard of propagating Sand so i will keep looking. Do I wash the aquatic mix before I put it in the tank or just the sand and gravel?

Also any ideas on some black gravel - I have some called Tuscan Path coloured stones which is black - i bought a small bag - is this suitable or is it dyed? It is quite expensive.

Thanks,

Sam