May 9, 200719 yr comment_161785 hi folks things arnt good in my tank - first my female golden dwarf cichlid was injured http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/help-p ... 21043.html then I put some melaflex (less than half dose!) into my main tank as several of my Neons had nipped fins-within an hour I noticed my golden pencils were looking stressed and were "gasping" at the top of the tank. An emergency 60% water change and adding carbon to the filter didn't help and 5 out 6 died.I've since found out thet Pencil fish have trouble with Melafix although this was a worse reaction than I have read about. now I've just noticed that some of the Neon tetras have white spots on their nose or lower jaw otherwise they seem fine- would post a photo but they arn't still long enough. could this be white spot ? fungal infection? Is there a generalised treatment (other than Melafix-I want my last pencil to survive) whichI could use? Report
May 9, 200719 yr comment_161824 It could be possible that all life living in the gravel have died off and are now rotting away. You may want to strip and clean the tank. Report
May 10, 200719 yr Author comment_161976 ? sorry what do you mean? are you refering to an under gravel filter? my tank hasn't got one there's a trickle filter. The white spots on my neons hasn't got worse -not better though. any help appreciated Report
May 25, 200719 yr Author comment_164503 I have made a tentative(sp?) id if Cotton mouth on the neons -I've dosed with Furan 2 -2 cycles as recomended in my hospital tank , however there seem's little or no change . any Ideas or suggestions? Report
May 25, 200719 yr comment_164505 I think what Jayci was meaning is all your good bacteria could have been killed. Your biological filter is pretty much your canister filter and your gravel, anywhere where the crud builds up i think. All the bacteria is what helps keep your tank at a happy healthy balanced pH,nitrite, nitrate etc and does all the chemical convertions needed and turns poo and wee into .... umm can't remember :oops: I think it helps if you think your filter as another fish which needs to be cared for. And if it has died, it will be rotting and contaminating your tank and making the rest of your fish ill. When you have bad water conditions your fish will be more sensitive to picking up infections and diseases. try fixing your water first by doing a gravel vacumn and a water change again and don't rush into throwing more chemicals into your tank. Report
May 26, 200719 yr comment_164530 Melafix wouldn't kill the bacteria in the tank. Take a photo with the flash on, take on an angle. Colour won't be as flash, but should be able to make out what type of disease. Frenchy Report
June 8, 200719 yr Author comment_166819 ok -sorry it took so long but things have been all out here . these photo's arn't the best and i've edited them so only the two fish affected are here. if you look at the jaw&"nose" area you can see a bump -if I could have got a head on photo it looks to be an off white colour. as the fish dont seem to be behaving differantly and the bump's arn't getting any bigger -I'm wondering if it could be some kind of scaring or birth defect?? the Fluran-2 treatment had no effect any Ideas as I wan't to get these little buggers back into my main tank so I can use the hospital tank to quarantine some replacement pencils Report
June 9, 200719 yr Author comment_166853 yeah-wasn't thinking of white spot -did think of cotton mouth, but Fluran 2 didnt do anything -just not sure Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.