What algae is it?

GeeTee

A mate has a tank with an algae I haven't come across before.

It is a funny green colour not bright and lays on everything like it is a piece of silk material.

He was going to send a photo to me but has not as yet so am just hoping you can help on the description.

What is it and how do you get rid of it?

Note the suggested cure - Erythromycin, is a prescription only drug here.

More important to find out the cause of the cyano too or it will return.

Before resorting to medication, try cleaning out as much of it as possible then totally black out the tank for 4 or 5 days, do not feed the fish during this time either. The lack of food and dark will not hurt them but they will be pleased to see you at the end of it :lol:

I've just battled an outbreak of the dreaded blue-green algae. Mine was caused by having zero nitrates in the water, with some phospates. Because I have a heavily planted tank with CO2 and high lights, I think the plants absorbed all the available nitrates, leaving the water proportionally high in phosphates. I've read that this favours cyanobacteria as they can utilise atomspheric nitrogen.

To cut to the chase, I've gone from having an incredibly fast growing mat of blue green slime to bare bottom again by judicious dosing of Ammonium Sulphate, and changing out some old light tubes. It has taken 3 weeks to do, but the algae is now only on some old leaves. It has died off the substrate and rocks etc.

I don't know if this is the cause of your mate's problem, but it's always worth checking the water parameters.