Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What algae is it?

Featured Replies

A mate has a tank with an algae I haven't come across before.

It is a funny green colour not bright and lays on everything like it is a piece of silk material.

He was going to send a photo to me but has not as yet so am just hoping you can help on the description.

What is it and how do you get rid of it?

  • Author

Thanks for that link,I'd be pretty sure it is the fisrt one pictured and it has a cure for it their as well.

Thanks again

Note the suggested cure - Erythromycin, is a prescription only drug here.

More important to find out the cause of the cyano too or it will return.

Before resorting to medication, try cleaning out as much of it as possible then totally black out the tank for 4 or 5 days, do not feed the fish during this time either. The lack of food and dark will not hurt them but they will be pleased to see you at the end of it :lol:

I've just battled an outbreak of the dreaded blue-green algae. Mine was caused by having zero nitrates in the water, with some phospates. Because I have a heavily planted tank with CO2 and high lights, I think the plants absorbed all the available nitrates, leaving the water proportionally high in phosphates. I've read that this favours cyanobacteria as they can utilise atomspheric nitrogen.

To cut to the chase, I've gone from having an incredibly fast growing mat of blue green slime to bare bottom again by judicious dosing of Ammonium Sulphate, and changing out some old light tubes. It has taken 3 weeks to do, but the algae is now only on some old leaves. It has died off the substrate and rocks etc.

I don't know if this is the cause of your mate's problem, but it's always worth checking the water parameters.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.