Advice needed on custom tanks(lighting and the such)

HaNs

Hi

I planing on getting 2 new tanks made up. One tank will be around 1m long, planted and have dwarf puffers, the other one will be around 1.1-1.3m long and have minimal plants and fish such as oscars/pelco/silver dollars in it.

What lighting/type of lighting will be best for my tanks? What are common size's for tubes and connections for the lights? What specs do the bulbs have/what specs do i need? What about night lighting? moonlighting and blue lights for night or day?

What are common tank widths and heights?

What thickness glass? 10mm?

I will be making the stands myself out of ply and staining them black and then sealing them.

I have all my filtration sorted(or over filtration 8) )

Would it be a good idea to run the 2 tanks of a fx5? I am also in the process of building my own filter that does 3800l/h with a alot of media. I could use a pump that does 5800l/h or is this over kill?

Metal Halide isn't like flouro tubes, they're a small bulb that produces a lot of very intense light. You'd really want to run compressed CO2 etc as well to keep things in balance, as well as a gravel substrate like Daltons Aquatic mix to keep everything in balance (as MH gives off a lot of light). They also need to be suspended above the tank, not just sit on top.

Are you planning on wiring everything up yourself? or purchasing lighthoods that you can just sit on top and turn on?

I'd just use two T8 daylight tubes for the normal tank, simply because it'll be cheap to setup, and bulbs are a dime a dozen.

T5 for the planted will cost a lot more to do, but be worth it IMO. Lighting really depends on how far you want to go. It's all a matter of balance. If you have lots of light you need the ferts and carbon to back it up.

T8 is cheap and parts can be obtained easily at any electronics wholesaler or even Mitre10 mega or bunnings. T5 produces more light and is much thinner (almost half) so its more flexible. MH produces a more intense light, and is considered a necessity for tanks deeper than ~600mm but the heat it gives off and the smaller coverage area can make it a PITA.

oh and i will be making my own hood and getting the lights put in by a mate who is a sparky. I will work out what size tanks i will be making tomorrow and post up.

Any suggestions on tank makers in the north island that dont charge the world?

With surface area of the water in tank...am i trying to maximize it so i dont have to put o2 into the water?

I hope to have 4 or more puffers, i am going to try and breed them. I am have the tank heavily planted

But where? There are quite a few forum members after dwarf puffers but no one has them in stock :evil:

Sorry to go off topic, and i'm not planning on getting there asap and disadvantaging anywhere else, but i would like to know where they are in stock

But where? There are quite a few forum members after dwarf puffers but no one has them in stock :evil:

Sorry to go off topic, and i'm not planning on getting there asap and disadvantaging anywhere else, but i would like to know where they are in stock

No one has them in stock. I have a supplier who could bring in later in the year

New tank sizes

Tank 1

1200 x 500 x 500

Tank 2

900 x 500 x 500

Tank 1 will be semi planted with java fern and what ever else my fish dont rip apart

Tank 2 will be fresh water for about 1 month and then turned into a brackish tank with what ever plants survive

I looking at doing florescent lights(think thats what they are), metal halide are looking to be very expensive.

Are 6500k lights fine?or should i go higher? Do i need one or two per tank?

Thanks