do guppies pair up?

Gatito

I am a guppie greenie. That said...

do guppies pair up? or is it just free-for-all? :lol:

Have some young ones, and the thought came to me that if they pair, i would be good to get some more, unrelated, before then so that we don't get too many little hillbillie fry with "purty mouths". :lol:

In any case, if they don't i should be widening the gene pool anyway.

Just for a second, prolly less, then off to pair with the next one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I suppose the best way for them to get over one guppy is to get under another one :lol: :lol:

Cool, well all the more reason to get some new guppies :D I've given them their own tank - what others could i put in there (other than anything with a small enough mouth) - what are good tankmates? They just have a pet BN at the moment.

Oooh, bent spine :( crossed fingers that doesn't happen, but if it does, the turt. will be pleased...

My first guppy tank had (you guessed it) guppies in it, a pair of bristlenoses with a nice cave and 5 peppered cories.

I sat in front of it for hours watching the cories trying to school with the guppies. Very cute!! :D

We have had about 3000 BN's out of that tank, hundreds of cories and I cannot count the guppies any more ...

Thanks guys :bow:

I've always liked cories, but don't know much about them. Will have to look into it and maybe get some. Would mean a bigger tank than the one i'm using for the guppies, but i suppose i'll have to eventually anyway if i'm getting more and they start popping out sprogs... :D

I like the look of Schwartz's Cory, Sodalis Cory, Black Sail Cory, Leopard Cory, Panda Cory, and Albino Cory - does anyone know off-hand if any of these would be suitable? And what kind of numbers do they like, do the different varieties play nice together, how much space will each need etc?

I'm being really lazy, but after a hard day at work i'm almost beyond googling, and besides, member's experiences and knowledge is often more useful than reading a fish's description on a site.

corys like groups, so i guess 3 or more will be sweet.

my corys are racist, i have 4 different species and they all stay in their own groups. even the julii and trilineatus dont mix.

not sure if this is always the case but definately in mine.

wicked fish to have, very funny to watch

corys like groups, so i guess 3 or more will be sweet.

my corys are racist, i have 4 different species and they all stay in their own groups. even the julii and trilineatus dont mix.

not sure if this is always the case but definately in mine.

wicked fish to have, very funny to watch

Hmmm, so i have to decide... tricky

The pandas sound cute, would they be ok? Could I have a group of 5 with guppies, and a BN?

Will see how I go. Thanks for your input dimebag

hey ya... are these the guppies you got off me last month? if so how are they going??

just to let you know they had the same mother but different farthers. the small ones are from my gold male and blond female, the others are from the same female but i dont know who the farther was... got her preggy from the shop.

hope that helps a lil bit

hey ya... are these the guppies you got off me last month? if so how are they going??

just to let you know they had the same mother but different farthers. the small ones are from my gold male and blond female, the others are from the same female but i dont know who the farther was... got her preggy from the shop.

hope that helps a lil bit

Hey Gannet, yeah these are the guppies from you. Thanks for the info, that's great to know.

They're doing really well, very active and they seem happy :roll: . One or two of the smaller 4 have just started showing a bit of dark colour.

The 2 larger ones have come into some colour, not quite finished but coming along nicely - light blue/yellow tails and bodies, with black on the body and the edge of the tail of one, and the bodies are marked with red and blue. That's to the best of my memory anyway, could describe better if at home.

Have incurred the wrath of my partner - recently set them up in a small planted tank in the bedroom, and apparently that doesn't really fly with the "no fish in the bedroom" policy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm really enjoying them, can't wait to get more. Am I better off to buy only females, and the occasional male if i really like his colouring? My 2 bigger ones are both males, and if i remember correctly I want to end up with more females than males?

Argh, monday mornings... :wink:

just hold off for now. i might be able to bring some to next months meeting. have about 5 preg females in our display tank that are due in the next few days. or ask at tomorrows meeting to see if anyone has an overflowing tank. lol

Awesome, thanks Rockerpeller, that's a good enough reason to hold off!!!

My Kribs are leaving the community tank in the next week to have their very own, so that should keep me occupied and away from the LFS :D