giant gourami

Benny

Gold giant gourami? Those the ones that get big enough to eat small children?:) The pet store in Lower Hutt has a giant Gourami on display. He's enormous!

Oh...Ummm...No, no real answer, but guesstimating from what I've heard of large cichlids growth rates I'd say he'd grow about an inch a month or more.

Hi Benny,

Welcome to the NZ Fishroom, glad you found us.

Been trying to find some info on your Giant Gourami, but can't find anything that refers to "Golden" but I presume the grow and breed the same.

According to my books they grow rapidly if given the right foods, which my ref says "Large amounts of shrimp, clams, mussles, to which can be added vegetable matter and boiled oatmeal"

Max size in natural conditions is 600mm+ and half this is captivity, but Hollywood has had an enormous one in their tank for many years, and there's a picture on the web if you log onto their site.

Is your fish a Ospronemus Goramy, or a different species ??

If you want to email me I'll send you the photo and details. :)

Regards

Pegasus.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

mine is in a 5ft by 3 by 3 and its ok...not optimum but ok. She is around the 50-60 cm mark and weighs approx 8kg (thank god for knotless trout net with scale built in). Has a go at small children and got the cat once. Devours a lettuce a week and for entertainment value the kids go snail hunting and drop them in washed only. Will have a go at eating anything that gets anywhere near the tank. She is a baby pink colour (is that the red?) and is often mistaken for a snapper. The rods which once decorated the wall in that room have no been moved as it was very disconcerting watching people look at the rod and the tank. Never put their food ..even in a sealed container on the top of the tank.....I learnt this the hard way. They will jiggle the glass until the container falls in and then attack the container until it gives up the goodies. From what I understand her growth rate was an inch a week as a juvenile. As adults they are hideous to move and I REALLY recommend anethestising them to do this.

LoGan, I don't usually point out spelling mistakes,(ppl who live in glass-houses shouldn't throw stones), but goramy is the correct way to spell this name.

NO insult intended, for educational purposes only.

Now back to the question.

I remember years ago, at a National Fish-show at Palmerston North, someone brought in one of those humungous fish as a eyecatcher for the public.

Well I was one of the ones that had to return it to the owner.

Jan Payne, some of you would know her,

also sat in the back seat of the car with me, to help if it got stroppy.

We had her, wrapped in a wet towel on our knees and she (the fish) didn't move at all.

Glided into her tank and looked at us as tho to say

"Thanks for the drive, Gee but it's great to be back home"

Did you see the pic of the GG in the "hollywood" post.

She is in a tank about 12' long, (guess), and she is over 600mm long, snaps at anyone going past.

Alan

Alan said...

> ... goramy is the correct way to spell this name.

Says who?

The real name is Osphronemus goramy but the common name is generally 'Giant gourami'. Not one of my favourite fish but they've been in the hobby since the late 1890s...

Andrew.

and I'll stick with it too

Osphronemus goramy is the taxonomical name for this fish,

Giant goramy is the common name.

If a fish is called the 'Giant gourami',

then they should be refering to the Colisa fasciata.

This is the problem of using a common name for describing your fish in question.

The giant goramy is the only fish in this classification and is therefore rightly named "goramy" imho.

By the way LoGan, after checking the first page, you weren't the only one to spell it wrongly, so I extend the education to the others as well.

Alan

Sorry Ira

Do some research and you might learn something

C. fasciata is known as giant gourami.

Start reading.

Start with going to the Breeders section of the forum,

then Breeding by class

then anabantids

and check out the first entry,

another name for the giant gourami is Indian gourami.

I think that is the correct route, but if it's not,

I'm sure you'll find it.

Alan

Alan said...

> Do some research and you might learn something ...

OK, everyone get out their 'Exotic Tropical Fishes' (I've only got the 4th Revised and Expanded Edition (1986) handy right now). Check the index. You *do* have a copy right? :)

You'll see TWO fish with the common name 'Giant Gourami' and none known as a 'Giant Gouramy' (on page 1271). All the other books I've got quick access to, and I do have one or two books, use 'gourami'. Admittedly, most of my books are of US origin.

I've only seen the 'gourami' spelling in LFSs in NZ (can't say I've paid attention while in overseas shops).

GOOGLE lists 300 odd pages for 'giant gouramy' and 10 times that for 'giant gourami'.

I might consider using 'gouramy' for Os. gouramy but why have 'giant' since there is no other fish with that name? This group of anabantids are know as various kinds of 'gourami' of which Os. gouramy is the largest and therefore more deserving of the term 'giant' than any Colisa species.

To make things interesting, the 'dwarf gourami' is not the smallest either but that's a whole different discussion...

I agree that LoGaN used some creative spelling but ranting at someone about what was probably a simple typo is hardly helpful. Especially when not actually answering the initial question in any useful way. Doubly especially when very few of use are above making the odd spelling and/or grammatical error.

So as not to fall into the same category, I would suggest that, IMHO, there is no practical humane minimum tank size for this fish available to the average hobbyist. I don't think they should be considered aquarium fish. And they're ugly ;-)

Andrew.

I agree that LoGaN used some creative spelling but ranting at someone about what was probably a simple typo is hardly helpful. Especially when not actually answering the initial question in any useful way. Doubly especially when very few of use are above making the odd spelling and/or grammatical error.

If you have a read of what I put in my post to LoGan, you will see that I was not telling him his spelling was wrong.

I made that quite clear I thought

It was done as an educational thing, something I also put.

If you think that is ranting, I'd love to see you in a flame session.

It was NOT a spelling lesson or a rant.

It just goes to show the benefit of using the taxonomical name, Right.

I don't actually give a continental stuff what you call the fish.

I was just trying to correct a misnomer.

Alan

Maybe I should make myself more clear. Colisa fasciata isn't a GIANT gourami. It isn't even particularly big. I don't mean it's not called a "giant gourami" In fact with a bit of research it seems to be very average in size and smaller than many gouramis. You want to argue that a common name is innaccurate how about arguing about that? Oh, and I also turned up a handful of references of Osphronemus goramy as also being Osphronemus gorami to muddle things up a bit.